Good luck in Michigan

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Although it is the general season, some of us still use a muzzleloader. Two weeks till the 30th, then the muzz season starts after that.

However........ our weather isn't going to be that great for an opener. I have the Ranger pulled up to the side porch tonight. I'll put the case with the rifle in to get to the blind. Have a nice area to park it right next to the blind :)

Good luck to my fellow MIchiganders! Try to stay dry and watch out in the woods for falling trees or limbs.

Opening day weather 2020.JPG

Back at you Encore50A. I took my supplies out to the blind earlier today. I do have a 300 yard walk so I have a rain jacket out and ready to go. Its a deluxe blind with heat and shooting ports so I dont have to open the windows. I intend to kick back in my luxury chair and visit with my friend who has been working too hard.

Good morning & Good luck fir safety & success
Probably going to miss my first opener in 45 years today. Over here in the southwest lower corner.....Rain, 20 to 30 mile an hour winds, which I wouldn’t like but I can deal with from my blind, however it’s the High wind warning that starts mid morning with 60 mile an hour winds that’s keeping me away until tomorrow morning 😟
According to the trail cameras the deer were all moving & feeding last night and early this morning in larger numbers than they have been which tells me the weather forecast is probably correct

Greg
Greg

If I didnt have a delux blind I would likely sit out this AM myself. I think a lot of hunters will not hunt this morning. But I have to hunt. If im not there I Know Mr. Buck will be. Looking in my windows with a smile on his face. The young fellow I hunt with only has today to hunt. Hes been busy and we havent talked for months. Looking forward to lots of conversation as well. Ill check in here tonight to see how everyone did. Good luck, be safe, God bless.

It is nasty out this morning, raining good but the wind hasn't peaked yet. I have a box blind, insulated and heated, with windows to keep out the rain. Parking behind the blind for the Ranger. Sunrise is supposed to be at 7:32 here (LOL) so legal shooting begins at 7:02 .... again.... LOL

Not sure how many opening days are left, so I'm getting ready and heading out here in a bit.
Good luck and as always, be safe.

I didn’t go up yet, the Rona was making it's rounds at my lodging, just off work, plus the winds are terrible.

I may go to the U.P. later, also have IL next weekend. Good luck to MI hunters, says license sales are up this year.

Seen a total of 11 today. Wind is too brutal now to be in the woods, even in a blind. I came back after the first few gusts. The whole state of MI is under a severe wind warning and gusts could reach 60mph. Wife says 300,000 down below are without power.
I had a shooter get past me following a doe this morning. Definitely would have take it. Come up out of a cut and crossed the shooting lane quickly. Fun though. Of the 11 seen, two were small spikes and the second larger buck was a shooter, but I let him walk. Wide to his ears 8pt but his tines weren't much more than an inch long.
All in all a good morning hunt. Now to make it through this wind crap. Be safe guys.

In the blind by 5:50. Fired up the heat and my Pal was there at 6:00. Had it nice and toasty. With the wind blowing didn't have to be very quiet. About 8:00 a deer is crossing the property and has a destination in mind. I put binoculars on it and call it a fork horn, then a six, then a fork horn. This guy is moving. I tell him to aim at the south west corner and wait for him there. He will have a part of a second to shoot.

He takes the shot. The deer jumps and kicks. Im sure its a good shot. give it 10 minutes waiting for the sheets of rain to subdue and head over to the point of impact. Lung all over the place but no blood trail. We head in the direction he was running and after 80-90 yards find him piled up. A 5 point. We feel we have been spoiled by the GT bullets. First out of 6 we have actually had to follow.

His only day off. He got a deer and we talked all day long. Prayers answered, a perfect day.

Congratulations to all the Michiganders who managed to get out for our windy opening day. I had to change spots the last minute as some other hunters set up close to me. I gladly let them have the spot since they stayed they had been hunting that area over 30 years. In my relocated spot saw a 4 pt and a doe. On Drummond Island deer have to have 3+ pts on one side to be legal.

Next day I shot a nice 8 pt. that was following a doe. This is the first deer I’ve taken, actually the first shot, in six years of deer hunting on the island. Not so many deer but it’s just wonderful to be up here surrounded on all sides by the Great Lakes!

Best of luck to all of you. Encore I hope your upcoming surgery goes well. Thanks for all your informative posts!

Yep, does are tastier and more tender. The younger the better too. I have a two little does that hangs out around my house. Thy are about the size of a small dog with long legs. I tell my wife there some good eating there. She gives me the evil eye. I think a doe still suckling on mom's teat would be perfect. One where the spots are just starting to fade.

Back