Good news for all of us, but there is a catch.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Rappahannock_River_Valley/about/complex.htmlEastern Virginia Rivers National Wildlife Refuge Complex Draft Hunt Plan - Open for Comments:
I have hunted a lot of places in the states and overseas. Done very well too. (I've been hunted at several places overseas). I will not hastate to tell you where my favorite good spots to hunt are, be it for deer, turkey, things to eat (Morals). Because in most cases someone steered me there to start with. The federal folks here in Virginia are proposing new spots to hunt/fish and additional species. plus extended seasons. The proposal is very well done, with lots of good information. Please read.
But there is a catch. My favorite tract Hutchinson tract (One parking spot for 600+acres) and many others is reducing parking to one spot or maybe two from allowing parking today along any all weather road or designated parking spot. If you have two legs' and a sturdily back you are good to go. But I have neither. It looks good on paper but has the chilling affect of reducing access. Normal bird watchers ect, park about anywhere, just don't impede traffic.
Also the ban of lead anything from sinkers to bullets.
Eastern Virginia Rivers NWR Complex is proposing to:

• Open hunting opportunities for new species: wild turkey; coyote; small game (squirrel and rabbit). Coyote and turkey can be hunted concurrently with deer hunting when seasons overlap.
  • Open migratory birds (duck, coot, merganser, and light and dark goose) in 2022.
  • Small game hunting will be allowed on 1,181 acres and spring turkey quota hunt will be opened on 3,632 acres.
  • Revision to season dates (e.g., new seasons associated with new species, occur during a period of October through April).
  • 1,478 new hunting acres are proposed for white tailed deer archery and 1,030 new hunting acres are proposed for white tailed deer shotgun.
  • Reduced permitting requirements at some tracts are proposed.

Feel free to make a comment to them. Its your land and access. There is absolutely no reason for just one out of the way parking lot. There is a reason but its nefarious.

I used to hunt some water company land back in Connecticut. They had strict rules for parking. If you violated the rules, they could pull your permit.

Here we can get a $15 parking ticket if parked on a road where No Parking is posted on state or federal land. IF the police choose to ticket you. They rarely do. Mainly it just happens at the boat launches.

Banned. And there is more than that one to the left. Mostly I take does as they are in groups of plus 5. They get very little pressure, except for those folks that run dogs.
Besides its halfway between my son and I. Any time counts.

Same type of deal just up the coast closer to me. These folks really need us hunters, They are adding archery to the mix. Put a plug in for muzzle loading please. Except during a called fire season/alert Quantico you can use a ML vice slug. These folks are especially hunter friendly. Not always but now. These are our resources.
PS I'm a regular at these places and killed a lot of deer there. Plan is good, unlike the Rappahannock one.

The proposed plan includes:

• Open fishing opportunities on non-motorized watercraft in designated areas of Occoquan Bay NWR, Mason Neck NWR and Featherstone NWR. Additionally, Featherstone NWR will also open fishing opportunities to motorized watercraft in designated areas.
  • Expanded deer hunting hours at Occoquan Bay NWR.
  • Open opportunities for mentored turkey hunting and mentored archery deer hunting on Occoquan Bay NWR.
  • Open fox and coyote hunting opportunities in conjunction with permitted deer hunt days at Occoquan Bay NWR.
  • Open waterfowl hunting opportunities in designated areas of Featherstone NWR.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Occoquan_Bay/what_we_do/resource_management/draft_hunt_fish_plan.html

Latest posts

Back