• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Good starter mould for .45 or .50 cal muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father has bullet casting supplies that he inherited from his father a few years back. He lives 2 1/2 hours away so I don't have easy access to it all the time. I would like to dip my toes into the bullet casting world without having to shell out alot of money up front to try it out. So does anyone have a good starter mould for conicals for either .45 or .50 that I could purchase, to play around with when I go visit my folks? I would prefer more of a hunting style bullet mould but am open to any and all offers. Just thought maybe some of you might have some moulds collecting dust that you wouldnt mind selling

I have a Lee aluminum mold with handles that was one of the custom molds ordered for the UC Short conical. A simple search will lead you to lots of information on that bullet. The lee molds come with handles. I prefer steel molds so I had one made by Accurate of basically the same design.
I would want $25 plus shipping for the Lee mold.

I have a Lee aluminum mold with handles that was one of the custom molds ordered for the UC Short conical. A simple search will lead you to lots of information on that bullet. The lee molds come with handles. I prefer steel molds so I had one made by Accurate of basically the same design.
I would want $25 plus shipping for the Lee mold.
Thanks for the offer, I can’t seem to find a picture of that bullet on my Google search

Search for IdahoLewis on here and look at his I-bullets, I think the 50 cal is #50-415i from accurate molds, I cant remeber for sure what the 45 cal is but you'll find it easy enough.

I was hoping to find something second hand for relatively cheap. So i could dip my toes, so to speak. I guess everyone wants to hang on to their moulds. Oh well, I'll keep waiting to see if anyone is interested. I hate telling people thanks, but no thanks, for their offer. I do not want to offend anyone. So if someone has a mould (preferably steel) they want to get rid of let me know

Ben, did you get the bullets i sent you yet? Ive got a few different molds. I dont use all of them. Might have something for you. When i started out i bought a couple Lee molds. You can not beat their price. They arent the best molds on the planet but they are inexepensive and come with handles. Great way to start casting cheap imho.

Ive got a Lee 500-360 i will send you. It was a hollow base mold that i modified to have a flat base. The original base plug can be bought from Lee if you want to make it a hollow base again. I thought it was a PITA is why i modded it. Anyway, its not pretty cuz I used it a bunch but dont have a .50 rifle anymore. A little cleaning is all it'll need. iirc it cast around 375-380 and .504.

Latest posts

Back