Goofy omegas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickelGL

Reaction score
So my dad bought an omega barrel off ebay. Thing wasnt bored worth a crap. Up top a .5015 sized lead bullet almost slides down with the weight of the ram rod. Problem is further down it goes the tighter she gets. Last 1/3 is super tight like using a palm saver and leaning on the ram rod. Anyone else had this problem? At 50 yards i got a 3” group with peep sights. Walked over to 100 and its a good 12” group. What would you do ?

Did you look to see if it was crud or rust that might have causing it? Or is just poor machining?

What would I do? Try different bullet and sabot combo? I sighted one in this year with 240 gr xtp mag sabot. My favorite for T/C`s. Would not hold a good group. Went to 260 gr PT Gold and tried 250 gr monoflex and everything is touching. Don`t give up on her yet. Good luck.

What would I do? Try different bullet and sabot combo? I sighted one in this year with 240 gr xtp mag sabot. My favorite for T/C`s. Would not hold a good group. Went to 260 gr PT Gold and tried 250 gr monoflex and everything is touching. Don`t give up on her yet. Good luck.
See problem i
You have to call him.
o ok those are the smokless capable one’s correct? Any idea what they cost?

So my dad bought an omega barrel off ebay. Thing wasnt bored worth a crap. Up top a .5015 sized lead bullet almost slides down with the weight of the ram rod. Problem is further down it goes the tighter she gets. Last 1/3 is super tight like using a palm saver and leaning on the ram rod. Anyone else had this problem? At 50 yards i got a 3” group with peep sights. Walked over to 100 and its a good 12” group. What would you do ?
https://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb-ballistic-bridge-sub-base50-pcs/
You can try the MMP Ballistic Bridge Subbase
You can try Wrapping a New Bronze Brush with Oil Soaked (Kroil or WD40) Ultrafine "White" Scotchbrite & Working the Tight Spot (Long Tedious Process & Use a Bore Guide)
You can Cut Off the QLA, Recrown & Drilled & Tap for the Front Sight (Colorado Elk)
I've had (4) TC Muzzleloader Barrels with that Dang QLA. Only (1) was Centered & Even that Encore Barrel Required a (45+) Round Break-In with Bore Sized Hornady FPBs before it shot to my Satisfaction.
You Asked "What would you do? All of the Above 😉 But you didn't Mention if Corrosion was the Cause of the "Tight" Spot?

Since you have almost a year, I wouldn’t waste time trying to set up an Omega to shoot conicals. I had the cut off the QLA on mine to get it to shoot. Better off buying a gun that has a good track record for shooting conicals.

That said if you Dad is set on trying, I’m would get some powerbelts ELRs and try them. Not the regular PBs but the new ELR. The rear skirt can sometimes acts in a sabot like fashion and shoot well from an Omega.

But if you want to shoot other bullets including solid lead conicals, you will waste a lot of time and money and prob not have a good lead conical shooter. I speak from experience with my Omega.

i'd trade it for something that shoots conicals.

The Omega is a very good and accurate rifle designed for use with sabots. Lead conicals, not so much.
You can try Wrapping a New Bronze Brush with Oil Soaked (Kroil or WD40) Ultrafine "White" Scotchbrite & Working the Tight Spot (Long Tedious Process & Use a Bore Guide)
You can Cut Off the QLA, Recrown & Drilled & Tap for the Front Sight (Colorado Elk)
I've had (4) TC Muzzleloader Barrels with that Dang QLA. Only (1) was Centered & Even that Encore Barrel Required a (45+) Round Break-In with Bore Sized Hornady FPBs before it shot to my Satisfaction.
You Asked "What would you do? All of the Above 😉 But you didn't Mention if Corrosion was the Cause of the "Tight" Spot?
So the barrel isn’t perfect but it’s not bad at all. I guess a little more information would help. We have been shooting this with 70-85 grains of black horn using one of furys plastic over the powder cards. Same loads that work decent in my encore.
I don’t know that we would get a tight fitting sabot down and seated on the powder.
We were actually looking at power belts last night.

I don’t know that we would get a tight fitting sabot down and seated on the powder.

Couple months ago i scoped and sighted in an Omega for a hunter. The 250 grain SST bullet in the Harvester crush rib sabot loaded rather easily. One of the most accurate rifles i ever fired.

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/crush-rib-sabots
So the barrel isn’t perfect but it’s not bad at all.

A rough bore could cause the loading conditions you described.

Latest posts

Back