Goofy omegas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wad is a flat disc. The sub base has a skirt like a sabot, but no petals. The sub base is put on the powder just like the wad. The skirt helps hold the burn as it passes through the QLA i guess. Drastically helps with accuracy in my Omega rifles. Possibly it may help you, or not.

subbase.jpg

Like others have said the qla is definitely your problem. I own several
Omegas as well as other t/c rifles with the qla and without cutting the it off and recrowning or using the mmp sub base none of them have shot lead conicals better than a hand sized group..some even key holed the target. Yet with sabots they all shoot sub moa with multiple different loads as do. Cutting off the qla and re finishing the muzzle is relatively easy for most gunsmiths if you want to dedicate the money into the rifle..I would try the sub base first. It has worked well for me in the past

I bought a drop-in Omega barrel from Mark in August. Here is my email correspondence with him:

1-18 Barrel, nitride

Picatinny rail

Adj high pressure plug

Shipping

Total $491.71

I also threw in a bushing for the plug. It has a carbide .035 installed. The other one you will see is 17-4 stainless and .040”

I gave you some anti size grease that works good on the breech plug, internally and externally.

You can use the factory pins for the action and trigger guard. I did include an action pin that requires no tools.

I have an omega 45 with the same problem the OP posted, the full bore bullet started out loose and gets tight, same with an Encore 45. I have never had the issue with GM barrel. The TC barrels shoot good with sabot loads, but like crap with full bore bullets. Get a new omega barrel or a Knight if you want to shoot full bore, I have great luck with those. Just my two cents worth.

Would something like a Federal B.O.R. lock work? Copper with a sub-base attached, like a powerbelt but better...

TC made the decision to make the QLA look concentric to the OD of the barrel, not machine it concentric to the rifled bore. This leads to the uneven escaping of gases around the bullet when it leaves the rifled bore. The sub base expands to fill the QLA and prevent this uneven escaping of gases and improves accuracy.

Back