Got a Fat Piggie This Evening

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yum! Roasts and bacon!

Let's not forget the Sausage!! :D What I also like to do with my Sausage is to take it out of the casing and make a hamburger patty out of it. Man is that good. Sometimes in the morning I'll take it out of the casing, break it up, add some cheese and cook it with my eggs, "Sausage and Egg with Cheese Omelet". YUM GRIN

Nice work. Where do you aim on a hog? These critters are new to me, being an old yankee from New England. My property here in Oklahoma has been overrun with hogs. I shot one a couple weeks ago with a 12 gauge slug. The thing ran off and I never found it. I aimed just behind the shoulder like you would on a deer.

I’ve been told to sim on the shoulder as that is where the heart is on hogs.

:lewis:

9mjrqwR.jpg

I shot one a couple weeks ago with a 12 gauge slug. The thing ran off and I never found it. I aimed just behind the shoulder like you would on a deer.

Look at the link Idaholewis posted.

Shoot the hog behind the crook in the front leg. Hogs shot in the heart lung area can be expected to run 200-250 yards. Or shoot them high in the shoulder: That high shoulder shot destroys the central nervous system and the hog bang flops.

Do not shoot hogs behind the ear. There's nothing there. When shot behind the ear the hog often drops like it's poleaxed because the CNS is temporarily disrupted. That hog will often appear to be dead; if not disturbed it may even die. But a noise will often cause the hog to begin moving around, then it gets on it's feet and books. That has happened to me many times.

My first experience with a hog was in 2000 while elk hunting on Fort Sill. i was watching a game trail and my friend was in a tree stand about 200 yards away. Heard him shoot and my cell phone rang: "i shot a big pig, he's lying here dying". On the way to the stand i met a drill sergeant and we talked. Phone rang again: "Hog heard you all talking, jumped up and took off."

Took a short cut and caught up with my friend. He shot the 250 pound boar again and it dropped. i started to approach the animal. Too late, my friend yelled: "Don't approach that hog, it will kill you." Yep, the hog jumped up and the rodeo was on again. The hogs head was the size of a 55 gallon drum end when i fired. Hog had cutters about 3" long. i got a lecture for being a dumb butt.

Back