Got my 1st muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevyod

Reaction score
Absolutely new to the muzzleloader game, I live in Pa and purchased an inline for early muzzleloader season. My local Dick's has the CVA Wolf with the Konus scope on sale for 259.98. I thought that seemed like a pretty good deal! Now the fun begins of seeing what will work with this gun. I plan on trying 2 things, a .452 300 grain cast in a Harvester sabot, and also the Lee R.E.A.L bullet. Either way, I do have lead and a casting pot, so hopefully I will not need to spend too much on it. I did look at the 777 powder when I bought the gun, and they wanted 50 bucks for a lb. I will likely be looking for a cheaper alternative.
As an aside, I am not new to the casting scene since I already cast for rifle. In fact Saturday I shot my buck with a cast bullet, and just this morning I shot a doe also with a cast. Hopefully that experience will stand me in good stead when it comes to muzleloaders!

Absolutely new to the muzzleloader game, I live in Pa and purchased an inline for early muzzleloader season. My local Dick's has the CVA Wolf with the Konus scope on sale for 259.98. I thought that seemed like a pretty good deal! Now the fun begins of seeing what will work with this gun. I plan on trying 2 things, a .452 300 grain cast in a Harvester sabot, and also the Lee R.E.A.L bullet. Either way, I do have lead and a casting pot, so hopefully I will not need to spend too much on it. I did look at the 777 powder when I bought the gun, and they wanted 50 bucks for a lb. I will likely be looking for a cheaper alternative.
As an aside, I am not new to the casting scene since I already cast for rifle. In fact Saturday I shot my buck with a cast bullet, and just this morning I shot a doe also with a cast. Hopefully that experience will stand me in good stead when it comes to muzleloaders!
First, congrats on your harvests! Must be satisfying taking game with your own cast bullets.
P.s. I'm originally from Clinton Co. PA.

Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloaders. You should definitely be headed in the right direction. Have fun, make a lot of smoke, and good luck on your hunts.

In Pa here they did not. Their racks were full of most modern guns, saw some 700's, Hells canyon, etc.

Dicks left our Rochester venue some time ago. I was in it once. Main floor was golf or running. Upper level held the fishing and hunting, what there was of either. No loss as far as I am concerned. Prices were sky high, and they acted like I wasn't within their dress code when I walked in there. I mean at 6 foot and 250 I wouldn't work out good in the spandex running stuff and I certainly wouldn't look so nice in any of the form fitted clothes the undernourished, desk-set, loopers seem to love living in. But putting the hunting and fishing departments up stairs in a Minnesota store named DICKS, come on.

A lot of guys here stopped going to dicks completely because they stopped selling guns. Weird that its just Michigan.

Not just MI. It literally varies by store in some states. In VA, some stores still do sell them, others don't. The ones that quit, man were they blowing out the stuff. My BIL got several rifles discounted over 50% off. One was a Rem 700 ADL, 6.5 creed... $238 and it shoots lights out!

Back