Got my TC Renegade!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this once before. If you don't mind paying a Hazmat fee. It's the only way I can buy BP.

https://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/back-powder/
I'm in Colorado too. If you live anywhere near Denver, I got a pound of Pyrodex at Sportsmans warehouse in Thornton a couple weeks ago. 2 weeks ago. The guy at the counter told me he only gets 3-5 lbs at a time when he gets some. Might want to call them and see when is a good time to call and check on supply.

Both Cabela's have been out for over a month & shrug if you ask them about getting any more. I drive all over for work, so drop in and check every once in a while.

My first birthday present from my wife a .54 Renegade in kit form. I would also recommend swapping out the ramrod. I have tried Maxiballs in my rifle with little success and a lot of frustration. I have had a lot of success with .530 PRB using pillow ticking. Pyrodex 2f sarges in the 80 grains by volume is the most efficient way of send PRB's down the barrel. Good Luck with your Renegade!

My first birthday present from my wife a .54 Renegade in kit form. I would also recommend swapping out the ramrod. I have tried Maxiballs in my rifle with little success and a lot of frustration. I have had a lot of success with .530 PRB using pillow ticking. Pyrodex 2f sarges in the 80 grains by volume is the most efficient way of send PRB's down the barrel. Good Luck with your Renegade!
Check out Idaholewis's posts and YouTube videos on shooting the Maxi-Ball with only the bottom groove lubed. Makes a huge difference in accuracy in the 1:48" twist barrels of the Renegade.

Matthew323 I did read and tried that but I couldn't get pie plate accuracy at 50 yards. I was also improvising on the Maxiball lube too. That was probably my downfall.

Yeah, when Lewis makes his recommendations it's wise to follow them exactly.
I’ve been doing so with my .40. Bullets cast from a .40-65 marlin mold weighed, sorted, lubed with the SPG mix, sized .401” and I’m getting excellent 100 yard groups. Spring is slowly coming to my long range and soon I’ll be able to test the barrel out more thoroughly. Anyone interested in a .40 should consider having Bobby Hoyt make one for them!

Matthew323 I did read and tried that but I couldn't get pie plate accuracy at 50 yards. I was also improvising on the Maxiball lube too. That was probably my downfall.

I would try again with a THINNER Lube, Just Tacky enough to Hold in the Grooves. As I’ve said many times before, Lube can MAKE or BREAK Accuracy. Lube texture is CRITICAL to Accuracy

Latest posts

Back