Got the Renegade Ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to hunt with my single trigger .50 cal Renegade this year. It had lots of dust that needed blowed off. After a do it your self trigger job (thankyou IdahoLewis) I was able to reduce my trigger from about 10 lbs to somewhere about 3 lbs.
I had originally considered going with PRB's, but after a session of trial and mostly error. I reconsidered and tried some 460 gr No Excuses. I started out using 3f Swiss but nothing grouped very good. Later I switched to 2f Swiss and seems like things started to fall into place. Starting out at 80 grains I was able to achieve a fist size group at 50 yds. Not bad (considering using a fat fiber optic front sight)but not good either. The higher in powder charge from there, the worse the group. So I decided to go down instead. I ended up settling in at 65 grains with a lubed wool wad. Ended up shooting about 1.25" group at 50yds and able to keep my shots in a 7" circle at 100 yds.
The best part is, I am sighted in 1" high at 50 yds and hitting only about 4'' low at 100.
It is kind of funny looking at my clear plastic re-loaders. The bullet volume looks larger than the powder charge volume.
Maryland's early ML season started today , but I won't get a chance to go out til Saturday due to work. Hoping I get a chance to make some smoke and fur fly this coming weekend.
Wanted to see if anyone else shot the same load and how it performs for them hunting.
H9BDgPHm.jpg
Fu9uDKZm.jpg

Never had any of the bucks I was after present a shot for me this season while hunting with the Renegade. I passed up a lot of small bucks and countless does in that pursuit. Tonight was the last night of late rifle season in our state.It was time to take a doe for freezer meat and jerky. Decided to take the Renegade last second instead of the .270 Win. Just my luck, covered over with does almost any other day now I couldn't see a doe to save my life. Go figure. At just about last light I was contemplating lowering my gun from the stand when I heard crunching leaves down the hill. Low and behold a mature doe stepped out from behind a poplar tree. Luckily I was still able to see the sights and make high shot thru her shoulders. When the smoke cleared she was laying in the same spot as where I shot her. Only she was pointed in the opposite direction from when she was standing. Flipped ends. Tops of her lungs were vaporized where the 460 gr NE conical zipped thru her.
My buddy who was hunting the other end of the property with his 300 Win. scored on some freezer meat as well.
It was a good Sunday night.;)

qww69Rq.jpg

Good shootin guys, looks like the Renegade is good to go

Back