GPH HELP!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkbark36

Reaction score
Finally recieved my new GPH (woohooo)...only prob I'm running into is that the rear sight is ridiculously loose. Like it falls out loose. Both of them. Am I doing something wrong?? Usually these type of sights require a soft mallet to move.

Will call Lyman Monday unless yall might have some ideas.

Thank you all!

That’s crazy that they would send out a Rifle that the Rear sight falls out of, They Cut the Dovetail to large (those are European Dovetails, .360)

It is an easy Fix to tighten them up. Depending on how loose? Cut you a piece of Pop Can type Shim, Glue (Loctite) it to the Bottom of the Sight or in the Barrel Dovetail, Now Drive it in. The other way is to use a Punch, Something like a Finish nail “Set” and Give it a little Smack in the Barrel Dovetail, this Creates a Divet and when you drive the sight in it will Hold it in Place. Those are 2 Simple, easy fixes. It’s a Shame that you have to Tinker with a Brand New Rifle like this

That’s crazy that they would send out a Rifle that the Rear sight falls out of, They Cut the Dovetail to large (those are European Dovetails, .360)

It is an easy Fix to tighten them up. Depending on how loose? Cut you a piece of Pop Can type Shim, Glue (Loctite) it to the Bottom of the Sight or in the Barrel Dovetail, Now Drive it in. The other way is to use a Punch, Something like a Finish nail “Set” and Give it a little Smack in the Barrel Dovetail, this Creates a Divet and when you drive the sight in it will Hold it in Place. Those are 2 Simple, easy fixes. It’s a Shame that you have to Tinker with a Brand New Rifle like this

Yeah I might can do one of those... just wanted to make sure there wasnt something I was missing.

It is super loose. Like I said, wither one will literally fall right out without any shaking.

You can actually see a decent gap

Attachments

• 20210116_082748.jpg
    20210116_082748.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 43
If i had that Rifle in my hand, I could have the Rear sight fixed in 5 minutes MAX. Like i said it’s an EASY Job to do, Just a shame to have to mess with a Brand new Rifle, It should have been Correct from Lyman!

It will be interesting to see what they have to say? They will Likely send you a New Rear Sight to try is my Guess, They probably have oversize ones for cases like this? But it wouldn’t surprise me if they have you send the Entire Rifle back, All over a 5 Minute Job

If i had that Rifle in my hand, I could have the Rear sight fixed in 5 minutes MAX. Like i said it’s an EASY Job to do, Just a shame to have to mess with a Brand new Rifle, It should have been Correct from Lyman!

It will be interesting to see what they have to say? They will Likely send you a New Rear Sight to try is my Guess, They probably have oversize ones for cases like this? But it wouldn’t surprise me if they have you send the Entire Rifle back, All over a 5 Minute Job

Well if ya weren't so far away I'd stop by and letcha fix it!!! Lol

Yeah idt I'd be sending it back in without a replacement in hand first. Be worried I might bot get it back....(puts on aluminum foil hat 🤣)

Another option to tighten up the dovetail is to place a socket that spans the dovetail and give it a good hard smack with a hammer to flatten out the "ears" of the dovetail. Just might be the solution. As others have said, you should not have to mess with a new gun. I have not been impressed with Lymans QC on their black powder guns.

Shim the sight as others have said. Don't bend the dovetail ears for any reason! Modify the sight, not the barrel dovetail. The sight is easily removed/replaced. Bent dovetail ears are damage done to the barrel...

If it was mine, I would not try to fix it my self since it a new gun and it should of been right before they sent it.You must of got the old style and not the new Signature Series, by Davide Pedersoli. When you call Lyman you will be told to get in contact with Dixion's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton , PA because they do all Lymans warranty work. Right now Dixon's will be closed until Jan 23 10:00 am reopen after they have done there inventory. Phone number is 1-610-756-6271,address is 9952 Kunkels Rd., Kempton,PA.19529.
Its not your's job to fix Lymans screw up, which is why Pedersoli is making the GPR now.

If it was mine, I would not try to fix it my self since it a new gun and it should of been right before they sent it.You must of got the old style and not the new Signature Series, by Davide Pedersoli. When you call Lyman you will be told to get in contact with Dixion's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton , PA because they do all Lymans warranty work. Right now Dixon's will be closed until Jan 23 10:00 am reopen after they have done there inventory. Phone number is 1-610-756-6271,address is 9952 Kunkels Rd., Kempton,PA.19529.
Its not your's job to fix Lymans screw up, which is why Pedersoli is making the GPR now.

Calling them Monday. You are correct in that it is an old style. QC card (ha!) is dated 2018

Calling them Monday. You are correct in that it is an old style. QC card (ha!) is dated 2018

Lyman did have a Recall on their GP Rifles (Produced in 2017 I believe?) Your serial # doesnt fall in between here does it? A595960–A599026

Just an update.....

Called Lyman on the 18th.
Said would send new sight.
Emailed back on the 27th to see if they would send a tracking number or what not.
Told me it hasn't shipped and they would send tracking when it ships, but they were backed up and cannot give me an estimated shipping time or tell me how far behind they are.
Call back today (9th of Feb).
Tell me that yes they are behind.
Looks up my order.....item is not in stock.
I ask again about the potential to estimate a shipping date or arrival of the item to be available to ship.
I'm told that "well you know it is coming from Italy on a big slow boat."
I ask if we had any idea when this big slow boat left Italy to......estimate it's arrival.
Told no way to tell when it will arrive.
Told me to potentially try shimming it with a matchbook b/c the issue is common and that is how they fixed it in the 17/1800's.
Told I can send it in for a gunsmith to shim it.
I ask if they can sell me one of THOSE metal shims.
Was told they don't stock those either but make them as needed b/c they have a big factory.

Just relaying my experience. Guess i'll go dig in the junk drawer for some matchbooks:2cool:.

Latest posts

Back