Great day for a walk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Yesterday Ma had a grand-daughter's wedding shower to go to in the morning and when she got home around 1 she headed right to the bedroom and soon emerged with her "hiking" clothes on and said let's hit your deer hill for a walk. I don't get that very often so I dropped what I was doing and tossed on the boots and grabbed a couple waters and off we went. With the fall colors in full swing here [SE Minnesota] we found the woods absolutely beautiful and the 82 degrees made for a very comfortable walk - after we'd climbed the mountain of a hill. 417 vertical rise in 1/4 mile sure does create exercise. I could come in from one direction after parking on a flat level to the top of this property but that owner is a dick so I hike up and tell him no to using our land.

When we got to the stand the field adjacent to the property was a lush green. Not the corn or beans I expected. 52 acres of green. Three deer were enjoying a mid-day bite in the middle of it all. I'm guessing it might be a tough season but then again maybe not as this ridgetop is full of cedar on one side and fairly open oak forest on the other side and when the guns start banging the deer flood onto this ridge because its generally quiet and no-one out traipsing around at mid day and definitely no-one in those cedars. Come early evening and those deer like to step out and find acorns or browse the field edge.

It was so nice out that we got in about a three and a half mile hike after crossing into a friendly neighbor's land and then another then following the gravel road back to the van. Lots of sign and even a couple of scrapes. Ya, I know its way too early for scrapes but there they were foot prints and all. Maybe two feet in diameter. I'm assuming they were done by young bucks that haven't quite figured out how to use the new hormones they're feeling. We saw signs of no tree rubbing activity.

On the way up the hill to the stand we did move one very large bodied deer but I wasn't able to get a peek at the head but since big does are a thing of the past there I assume it was a buck. He didn't stick around long.

I guess now that I know I can still climb that ugly sucker mountain I can buy my deer license. Actually we went up without a single fret or issue and that always makes me take a relaxing breath. Lung disease and heart issues in recent years always leave me in suspense until I make the early climb and I think Ma sort of knew it was on my mind. The nice day and easy to take weather were welcomed as was my favorite hiking partner. Now I can get serious.

Congrats on still being able to climb the hill! Sounds like a great hike.

Every year, I wonder how many more years I'll be able to hunt the way I like. It's great you can still make it up the hill. Hunting is my incentive to stay in shape.

Glad that you were able to have such a good time, plus be successful climbing the hill with your medical conditions. Any day outside in nature is a good day, for sure. To be able to share it with your spouse, is even better.

Latest posts

Back