Great Lakes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow:bang: I’d like to know the story behind that. Hope it wasn’t a hold my beer and watch this moment.

Oh wow:bang: I’d like to know the story behind that. Hope it wasn’t a hold my beer and watch this moment.
HONESTLY...….. it is only the start of this crap. Guys not paying attention, many under the influence. Then others that have no clue about "rules of the road" on the water.
When the wife and I had our 31' slipped on Lake Erie, we traveled over to Cedar Point for a few days. While there, a cigarette boat, 50 foot'er and loaded with people, all drunk, hit a concrete platform holding high tension wires in the harbor, at of course wide open AT NIGHT. Killed all 12 people aboard.

I'd like to see a mandatory, nationwide, no alcohol law for boaters including those just riding along. Water does not forgive....it takes. And I'd be fine with required boatmanship testing at each registration renewal. Today lenders are too willing to give people with zero experience in boat operation the money to buy these big suckers then they end up in situations like the picture. At least there are no visible floaters in the picture.

I'd like to see a mandatory, nationwide, no alcohol law for boaters including those just riding along. Water does not forgive....it takes. And I'd be fine with required boatmanship testing at each registration renewal. Today lenders are too willing to give people with zero experience in boat operation the money to buy these big suckers then they end up in situations like the picture. At least there are no visible floaters in the picture.

I've boated all my life. Owned my first boat at 8 years old, made out of 1/4" plywood. Fiberglassed the joints and used a paddle to get around. My dad soaked the ends so they would turn up a couple inches. Then he made me a trailer out of electrical conduit and bicycle wheels. Used to hook it around my boat seat and head to the local farm ponds, which back in the day, the neighbors let all us kids fish their ponds. Try that today!

When I got into large boats, I took a US Power Squadron boating course. You learn a lot in their course. It used to be Loran, then went finally to GPS. My wife bought the radars :)

MrTom you're right. Way to many people buy a boat and all of a sudden become masters of the seas. Want a good day's enjoyment? Head down to the local boat launch with a sandwich and cold drinks and a comfortable chair/s. I've witness guys take the straps off, then remove their safety chain and unhook their crank rope. Watch what happens, especially with a roller trailer, when they start backing down a launch. I've seen more than one boat never make it to the water. Not even close. Then the fun starts watching them try to get it back on the trailer! LOL

I don't know what it is, but guys in boats think they are masters of their own worlds, including others. Especially if they've been drinking. The owner/operator/captain has to realize he/she is responsible for everything they do and all aboard. Heck, they make you take a motorcycle test, why not a boating test?
In years past, I had a neighbor who was on Saginaw Bay way out in "no man's land". Him and a buddy were fishing walleye and there wasn't another boat anywhere near them. Long story shorter, another boater, both in in drunk, were motoring at high speed sorting tackle and not looking. Before the neighbor could get out of the way, the guys hit him, knocking both out of the boat. His friend ended up with a broken pelvis, both legs were broken, along with one arm. Neighbor was more lucky. The guys that hit them, just kept going like nothing happened. Someone did see/hear it and came to help, than God. They caught the guys when they tried to load at Tawas. Very bad situation.

Back