Greater love hath no man...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
Drew for an antlerless elk ml hunt that started 8 September. The first two days were crazy-hot, reaching at least 85 degrees. I saw a couple deer each day, but no elk. There were tracks everywhere, but no elk, and no droppings. I figured they were in the area I was hunting at night, but headed for denser cover by daylight. I had an idea where that would be, but hadn't wanted to go there, as it started at about the three mile mark and I really didn't want to pack one that far by myself. Day 3 would be cooler, with afternoon showers. I got to that 3 mile mark just after shooting light, and waited to intercept them. After a while, I figured I'd arrived too late, and headed into the timber after them. Then, a bull started singing his love song one draw past where I was. I spotted some cow elk two draws over, at 650 yards. I loved hearing the bull going on and on, but he was kind of in the way! I had to loop around through the brush and timber, past the bull without spooking him, to get to my cow. By the time I got there, the cows had left, but with a little bit of fresh sign, a good game trail heading to the darker timber, and the grace of God, I was able to follow. Another few hundred yards up over a saddle and down the other side. Then I heard her, and saw the brush moving. About 100 yards, but no shot, so I crept closer. At about 40 yards, she moved into the open, broadside. Knight Bighorn, 420 grain No-Excuse, felt wad, 80 grains by volume of Pyrodex RS. DRT.
On X hunt said my yearling cow was down just over 4 miles from the truck. Five miles, to avoid most of the brush and timber. About half way back with the first quarter, I was met on the trail by a couple other hunters on ATV's, who I'd talked to the previous day. They asked if I might want some help. I graciously accepted. Would have been rude not to, right? Before dark, all four quarters were hanging on the meat-pole at my camp. I got by with a little help from my new friends.
When I commented how stunned I was that two strangers would interrupt their own hunt to help me like that, Bruce explained that (paraphrased) they were Christians, and they saw I might need help, and there wasn't another thing to think about it. They would accept no other payment or accolades. Aside from laying down ones life, maybe greater love hath no man than to help another pack out an elk in the rain. 2021 09 10 elk Sawmill Cr unit 39.jpg

Last edited:
Great story. I have met guys just like them before while hunting.
Always does your heart good to know that people will sacrifice of themselves to help someone in need.
Congrats on the elk and your new friends.

Congrats! Very cool story as well!

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Some days it’s too easy to forget there are still lots of good folks around.

A few seasons back I met a young man when I was coming out. We got chatting on hunting and commented on each others beards. He said your out here alone? Yep. He told me where he lived and if I ever needed help just come to his house. He was concerned because of my age. Nice to see a young man carry himself like that. Made my day.

Back