Green Mountain Stainless .45/.50 “Switch Rig”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I did some trading the other day with a Forum Friend here, I ended up with a Brand New in the Box 15/16” Stainless Steel Green Mountain .50 Cal LRH “Drop In” Barrel, I was really hoping to find a Nice Stainless .50 LRH Barrel to Go with my Stainless .45 LRH, I now have a Matching Set of 15/16” Stainless LRH Barrels :lewis:

When the Barrel arrived I immediately got started on it, The very 1st thing i did was the Lee Shaver “Break in” method, as i do with EVERY Barrel i own before they are ever Shot. I removed the Factory Williams Fiber Optic sights, and plugged the 2 Rear sight Holes, Then went to work on Fitting a New Lyman 17 AHB Globe Front Sight. And lastly i gave it a Deep Steam cleaning through the Nipple Hole, Then a Regular Cleaning in a Bucket of Luke Warm Water.

I chose to fit this New Stainless .50 LRH Barrel in the same 15/16” Hawken Stock that my Stainless .45 LRH is Fitted in, This way i would have a .45/.50 Stainless LRH “Switch Rig” Simply remove the Wedge Key and Switch Back & Forth between Barrels :lewis:
Ebf5LoL.jpg

After getting the New Barrel Fitted up in the Stock, I loaded up for a Test Run :) The Very 1st Bullet i chose to try in this new Barrel was a PURE LEAD Buffalo Arms .492 Diameter, 450 Grain Paper Patch Bullet. Since i had DEEP Steam Cleaned through the Nipple Hole/Breech Plug, I shot 2 Fouling Shots Off Target, I Swabbed the Bore Good, and then proceeded to Shoot a 3 Shot Group on Paper. Here is the 1st 3 Shot Group from my New Stainless .50 LRH Barrel, Target was 60 Yards
AQIgcfx.jpg

Lastly, I now have 2 Green Mountain Stainless LRH Barrels that Shoot PURE LEAD Extremely well. More testing with this new .50 SOON to come, But My 1st outing with Pure Lead in this New Stainless .50 Barrel Told me a LOT :lewis:

Here are a few Targets i Shot with my Stainless .45 LRH Barrel, With PURE LEAD Bullets
c9FWu2V.jpg

krEKmm5.jpg

Lew, I am just drooling all over my keyboard over that Silver Elite Hawken that you have not to mention you now have a 45 & 50 GM LRH Stainless bbls for it! You are one lucky individual! :lewis:

I‘d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of this Setup :) This is as “Custom“ as this Ole Boy will likely ever Get.

Very nice! Any issues with sight regulation between the barrels since the rear sight is tang mounted? I have wondered about that whether when using different barrels or just removing the barrel for cleaning. It seems like a shift in POI could occur.

As much as I like the looks of my modified Cougar stock that Silver Elite is the "Cats Meow".

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_143002.jpg
    IMG_20181229_143002.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 32
Very nice! Any issues with sight regulation between the barrels since the rear sight is tang mounted? I have wondered about that whether when using different barrels or just removing the barrel for cleaning. It seems like a shift in POI could occur.

The Tang sight is Currently sighted in Dead On with the .45 Barrel, As you can see from the Target above, The .50 is Really CLOSE, about 2-3” to the Right is all, I will make a Note of each on Windage, So i can easily adjust for it Depending on Barrel i choose to Run. Elevation will be simple, I will have 2 Separate Elevation Scales for the side of the Lyman 57 SML Tang Peep :lewis:

Thank you everyone for the Compliments, i am definitely proud of this Setup :lewis:

When it comes to Cleaning, These Stainless Steel Barrels will SPOIL a guy, these are TOTALLY Different Creatures than the Blued Barrels, The Difference is NIGHT & DAY. When you lift these Stainless Barrels out of the Water and Run your 1st Drying Patch down, it will be as COTTON WHITE when it Exits, as it was Before it went Down. Blued Barrels on the other Hand are NOTORIOUS for a Tinge of Orange/Brown on the Drying Patch, They do it EVERY TIME, When you get the Blued Barrels BONE Dry, and Run your Gun Oil Patches to Protect, That Tinge of Orange/Brown Goes away. It’s nothing to Worry about. But these Stainless Barrels NEVER EVER Do that, Which is a Welcoming Treat :lewis:

Awesome looking rifle. I have had two chances at a cougar stock. One was in Utah and I was going to have to drive to Moab to get it. He wouldn't ship. The second one was here in Buhl. The stock was cracked and the guy wanted 600 dollars. I had to pass.
Jacobs rifle, the Renegade I killed my elk with is a 50, and it has a stainless 45 barrel for it. But the cougar looks way nicer.

The Cougar stock came at one of those opportune times in the early morning on EBay when someone just listed it at a very reasonable "But it Now" price . Like a Cougar, I pounced on it !

Thank you everyone for the Compliments, i am definitely proud of this Setup :lewis:

When it comes to Cleaning, These Stainless Steel Barrels will SPOIL a guy, these are TOTALLY Different Creatures than the Blued Barrels, The Difference is NIGHT & DAY. When you lift these Stainless Barrels out of the Water and Run your 1st Drying Patch down, it will be as COTTON WHITE when it Exits, as it was Before it went Down. Blued Barrels on the other Hand are NOTORIOUS for a Tinge of Orange/Brown on the Drying Patch, They do it EVERY TIME, When you get the Blued Barrels BONE Dry, and Run your Gun Oil Patches to Protect, That Tinge of Orange/Brown Goes away. It’s nothing to Worry about. But these Stainless Barrels NEVER EVER Do that, Which is a Welcoming Treat :lewis:
Do you ever experience leading using pure lead grease grove bore riders ? In my 45-70 I shoot something similar and it is one of the issues that I have to deal with because accuracy goes south after a number of shots if the leading is not removed using bronze wool or something similar.

What type lead are you using? If pure or close to it you may be pushing them too fast? I know with pure lead they don’t recommend going over 1400fps.

Do you ever experience leading using pure lead grease grove bore riders ? In my 45-70 I shoot something similar and it is one of the issues that I have to deal with because accuracy goes south after a number of shots if the leading is not removed using bronze wool or something similar.
try 16-1 in your 45-70 and wipe withat least 8-1 distilled water and machine cutting oil.

Back