Green Mountain Stainless .45/.50 “Switch Rig”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis, this thread is expanding, so I hope I don't hijack anything.

I have a new drop in barrel for my stock Renegade. It is a 15/16 and has a 1-66 twist for great round ball shooting. However, the stock hammer does not align with the nipple. I will look for another hammer and fit it to that barrel.

I think I will need to replace my front sight (reason for the post). What is the size of the dovetail on a stock Renegade. I have the Lyman 57 SML sight on the back.

Very nice whitetail on the other post.

Dave, The Renegade Dovetail is Standard, American 3/8 (.375)

How far off is your Hammer? Is it off Side to side, or Forward/Rear?

mmuzzy.... are you going to try the Stihl oil as a barrel oil for storage? I'd be interested what you think of the oil in that aspect.
I had only planned to add some to the nasa lube.
I have been using Fluid Film and WoolWax spray lubes as long term protectants. I dont think im ready to try something different as they work pretty good for me. (I think theyre the same product under different labels)

Lewis, my Renegade hammer is squared up nice. On the new barrel the nipple is definitely inside of the hammer travel and the inside edge of the hammer would hit the primer. I can get a new hammer from The Gun Works in Springfield and heat/bend it for that barrel. I also can get a TC fiber optic front sight there too.
Round ball shooting will be my recreation during the off season, and someday it will be tasked to take down a blacktail.
I had pictures of a non-typical this season and may be ready to try the round ball in a year.

Lewis, my Renegade hammer is squared up nice. On the new barrel the nipple is definitely inside of the hammer travel and the inside edge of the hammer would hit the primer. I can get a new hammer from The Gun Works in Springfield and heat/bend it for that barrel. I also can get a TC fiber optic front sight there too.
Round ball shooting will be my recreation during the off season, and someday it will be tasked to take down a blacktail.
I had pictures of a non-typical this season and may be ready to try the round ball in a year.

That would be my advice Dave (Buy another hammer, Heat & Bend it) Places like Ebay want RIDICULOUS prices for TC Hammers. The good thing is, There are a TON of them out there, it isn’t difficult to find one

You need to use Acetylene to heat & Bend, a regular Propane Torch doesn’t get hot enough. I have done this Procedure MANY times, Side to side Bends are REALLY Easy, Forward/rear bends can be more of a Challenge. The key is having the Proper tools at hand for the Task :lewis: This is a SIMPLE Task, it takes More time to Light & adjust the Torch than to do the Job

Would it fit better if you had a 1" barrel instead of the 15/16"?

That's what I was thinking too. You're using a stock made for a 1" across the flats barrel and trying to put a 15/16's into it., that's likely your alignment issue.
Instead of buying another hammer and heating and bending I'd just find a TC Hawken with a 15/16's sewer pipe barrel priced for a song and throw your RB twist barrel into it.

What could you recommend for a peep sight for a T/C Hawken / Renegade?

There are a few, if you want field adjustability for Various distances i say the Williams FP Hawken, Or the Lyman 57 SML

If you want a “Set it, and forget it” Type sight, i say find an Old Stock TC Tang Peep. You might also consider Skinner, they are mounted on the Barrel in place of the Factory Rear Sight

There are a few, if you want field adjustability for Various distances i say the Williams FP Hawken, Or the Lyman 57 SML

If you want a “Set it, and forget it” Type sight, i say find an Old Stock TC Tang Peep. You might also consider Skinner, they are mounted on the Barrel in place of the Factory Rear Sight
Hello Lewis, I picked up an FP Hawken sight as per your suggestion. The two screws are very close together, do I need a special base to mount this on the Renegade tang or how/where does it mount please??

Hello Lewis, I picked up an FP Hawken sight as per your suggestion. The two screws are very close together, do I need a special base to mount this on the Renegade tang or how/where does it mount please??

It sounds like Your tang is not Drilled & Tapped, TC Sold rifles both ways, Some of the Tangs were Factory Drilled & Tapped, and Some were not

This one was NOT
oYjZo1g.jpg

And this one was, Some have this little “Plug Screw“ in place
P6UngLd.jpg

If your Tang is not Drilled & Tapped for a Tang Peep Sight, You will obviously have to do that. This is the Drill & Tap you Need (8-32)
7I76pQYl.jpg

Here is my method, it’s a SIMPLE Procedure

Drilling and tapping for Peep sight, How to find Dead Center of Tang

This is for education purposes only, You would be doing this with the Tang out of your Rifle of Course! This is just to Show you how to EASILY find Center of the Tang.

First, Measure the width of the Tang, all of the TC’s i have done Measure .500 across, Measure and make sure.

F7FLpmYl.jpg

Now that we know the Tang is .500 Across, half of that is .250, Adjust calipers to .250 and Lock them down. With my Stainless calipers i can lightly Scribe a line here. Even if your Tang Measures Slightly Different than .500 just Take whatever the Full width measurement is and Cut that in Half

6rRN9n5l.jpg

Now Flip the Calipers over and check from the other side, you will note the Lightly scribed line will match perfectly from this side :lewis: This is DEAD CENTER of your Tang.

YzNfCI1l.jpg

All that’s left to do now is place the Lyman 57 on the Tang, use the Rear Tang Screw Through the 57 Base, This will Hold it FIRMLY in place, use a pencil and Mark the Front sight Base hole. Now Drill and Tap to 8-32, You can buy this Bit and Tap in a Kit, this is mine
gwQuCJ5l.jpg

And lastly, Taking the Tilt/Forward lean out of the Lyman 57

First, Push the Button, pull the Slider out and set it aside. The Lyman 57 has a Nice Flat Top surface, use this to your advantage

z7FeLhJl.jpg

The Lyman 57 Has a Tendency to Lean Forward, Lay a flat edge on the Top of the Lyman 57’s Flat Base and you will find that it Leans/tilts forward, Like this
3sNi9Bql.jpg

Here is How I correct Lean/Tilt (All of my Rifles are like this) I use Stainless Washers that are the Width of the Tang, and the 8-32 Screw will just fit through the Washer hole. On average, I ad 1 washer under the Rear of the Sight Base, and how ever many i need up Front to Correct the Forward Lean, This varies from Rifle to Rifle, You simply need to play around here and get the Base as Close as you possibly can, Being off a tiny bit one way or the other is Fine, all we are doing here is correcting the LARGEST of it.

wIbo70kl.jpg

Here is what i am Looking for, when i place a Straight edge on the top Flat surface of the Lyman 57 Base i want the Straight edge to Run as Close as possible to Straight in line with my Stock/Barrel, Like this
WVlMiOJl.jpg

It sounds like Your tang is not Drilled & Tapped, TC Sold rifles both ways, Some of the Tangs were Factory Drilled & Tapped, and Some were not

This one was NOT
oYjZo1g.jpg

P6UngLd.jpg

If your Tang is not Drilled & Tapped for a Tang Peep Sight, You will obviously have to do that. This is the Drill & Tap you Need (8-32)
7I76pQYl.jpg

This one was NOT
oYjZo1g.jpg

P6UngLd.jpg

7I76pQYl.jpg
TY Lewis, but my tang has been drilled and had a 57SML on it for close to40 yrs! Hole spacin is 1 1/4" approx. the hole spacin on Hawken sight I got is only 7/16" aprox. Do I need two more holes drilled to mount the Hawken please?? Thank you kindly

TY Lewis, but my tang has been drilled and had a 57SML on it for close to40 yrs! Hole spacin is 1 1/4" approx. the hole spacin on Hawken sight I got is only 7/16" aprox. Do I need two more holes drilled to mount the Hawken please?? Thank you kindly

Something is wrong there? The Williams FP Hawken‘s that i have, and have seen ALL have the EXACT same Hole Spacing as the Lyman 57 SML

Are you sure your New sight is an FP Hawken, Like this?
UaMrB11.jpg

Here is another View of 1 of my Williams FP Hawkens, You can see the Base here. They are a 2 Piece sight, if you look REALLY Close under the Eye piece, you will see 2 Screws (this picture is hard to see them, but you can) Those 2 Screws Mount the Sight to the Base.
ihoP7Jt.jpg

Here we go, The 2 Red Arrows are pointing at the 2 Screws that Connect the Sight to the Base (These holes are close together) The Purple Arrow is pointing at the Base. I‘m wondering if they Screwed up and didn’t send you the Base?

esuoFBG.jpg

Here is another View of 1 of my Williams FP Hawkens, You can see the Base here. They are a 2 Piece sight, if you look REALLY Close under the Eye piece, you will see 2 Screws (this picture is hard to see them, but you can) Those 2 Screws Mount the Sight to the Base.
ihoP7Jt.jpg
Ok .... Thats the problem!! It has NO Base with it! I got screwed! Thank you and Bless you for all you help us with!! Happy Thanksgivin to you and your family please!! Old John

Ok .... Thats the problem!! It has NO Base with it! I got screwed! Thank you and Bless you for all you help us with!! Happy Thanksgivin to you and your family please!! Old John

No problem, glad to help ya :lewis: Contact Williams and tell them you didn't get the Base with your Sight, They have been good the few times i have talked to them.

Happy upcoming thanksgiving to you & your Family as well!

Ditto on writing a book Lewis. I downloaded Dutch's e-book when I got my first muzzleloader, and although I learned a lot from it, a lot was stuff that I already knew from reloading smokeless cartridges.

You have a wealth of knowledge on this topic that exceeds anything I've read thus far.

Back