Greetings from CT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently moved to a shot gun/ muzzleloader only state and have always had an interest in all things black powder. I'm looking forward to a new style of hunting and learning from the wisdom on this forum!

I'm in the lower south east corner of the state. What about you?
Rob, if you are interested, the Niantic Sportsmen's Club (of which I am a member) holds several black powder trail walks and line shoots thru April with special shoots in the summer. The next shoot is 12/4, and another on 12/18. Registration is from 9-10AM, and shooting starts at ten. Cost $10 to shoot, no prizes, just bragging rights. There are many experienced shooters that will gladly give advice whether you want it or not. The shoot is open to the public. All types of muzzle loaders are permitted, but only lead projectiles may be used and a 80 grain powder limit per shot.

Rob, if you are interested, the Niantic Sportsmen's Club (of which I am a member) holds several black powder trail walks and line shoots thru April with special shoots in the summer. The next shoot is 12/4, and another on 12/18. Registration is from 9-10AM, and shooting starts at ten. Cost $10 to shoot, no prizes, just bragging rights. There are many experienced shooters that will gladly give advice whether you want it or not. The shoot is open to the public. All types of muzzle loaders are permitted, but only lead projectiles may be used and a 80 grain powder limit per shot.
That sounds great! I need to find some lead bullets. Is the reason for lead because the shooting is at steel targets?

Is a trail walk kind of like 3D archery where there is are different shooting scenarios?

Last edited:
That sounds great! I need to find some lead bullets. Is the reason for lead because the shooting is at steel targets?

Is a trail walk kind of like 3D archery where there is are different shooting scenarios?
Yes, most of the targets are steel and the jacketed bullets used in some inline rifles really do a number on the targets so they are no longer permitted. The trail walks are very much like 3-D archery. Targets are placed at random distances. all shots are standing off-hand shots, and all loading is done at the firing point and loading is from the bag. Usually anywhere from 12-20 shots.

Latest posts

Back