Greetings from Minnesota

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougK

Reaction score
Hey guys. Total newbie from MN here. I would like to get into muzzle loading and hunting with a muzzle loader. I don't have anything yet, but I have pretty much decided on a TC Encore Pro Hunter.

As for me, I am currently a student at NDSU in Fargo, ND; eagerly anticipating graduation in December. From there I hope to find a job in the Minneapolis-St Paul area.

Welcome to the board!
I continue to see the Pro Hunter 28" for $699.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Without knowing why you selected it, I would only add that it is a great choice and hope you at least considered the Savage.

Best regards - Cob

Welcome Doug, good to have you here. I can't comment on your choice of a muzzle loader. I got involved in muzzleloading a few years ago to take advantage of the earlier and warmer hunting season here, and soon tired of the constant cleaning. That's why I now shooting a Savage. Just keep the Savage in mind. Lots of advice here on both rifles.

Well, the reason I chose the Encore is because it is convertable to a rifle, shotgun, and pistol. However, I am not married to the decision, so if you can give me a good enough reason why one is better than the other, I would definately look into it.

Doug,

My personal preference (I emphasize preference) is to go with the purpose-built item. Of course I still have a TC Contender pistol. If you are going to buy into the TC line, this is sure a good way to do it.

I also really enjoy ML guns that aren't legally "firearms". The TC Omega Z7 I just got doesn't rquire an FFL, and FredX just delivered it.

jim

Doug, I don't know if my reasons are good enough for you but they were for me. No cleaning after every shooting session. No stink and no big cloud of smoke. Great accuracy, is also a bonus.

HunterJim said:
Doug,

My personal preference (I emphasize preference) is to go with the purpose-built item. Of course I still have a TC Contender pistol. If you are going to buy into the TC line, this is sure a good way to do it.

I also really enjoy ML guns that aren't legally "firearms". The TC Omega Z7 I just got doesn't rquire an FFL, and FredX just delivered it.

jim

COuld you elaborate on what makes a ML not legally a firearm?

I'm sure eventually I like to get a flintlock as well, but that is further down the line. Cleaning doesn't really bother me that much, to be honest.

Doug,

Legal definitions make a muzzleloader a firearm, or not a firearm.

BATFE writes regulations at the federal level, and some states do their own thing. Also some smaller jurisdictions get into the act too. BATFE has a website where you can read a lot of their stuff.

One neat thing about not having a firearm is it makes going back and forth to Canada to hunt a lot easier.

jim

Doug -
Here are some things to consider:

The Savage is probably $200 cheaper.

If you like to shoot a lot, you will probably shoot more with the Savage because you don't need to clean it every time. Every time you shoot the Pro Hunter, whether it's once or twenty times, you should clean it thoroughly.

The cost per shot is probably cheaper with the Savage.
My primary Savage load is 58 grains of N120, XTP 300, 209 primer, MMP or Harvester sabot and the cost is about $0.67

An equivalent load for the Encore would be 3 50 grain pellets of 777, (the powder alone is about the same as the entire Savage load). A typical bullet would be SST, Shockwave, or Powerbelt and those are going to run $0.60 - $1.00 each.

There may be other reasons, but these will give you some food for thought. I own 2 Savages and 1 Encore and still I look longingly every time I see the Pro Hunter.

The best recommendation might be to buy the best muzzleloader you can afford and shoot it as often as you can - but not as much Chuck (aka Big 6x6). If it's possible to shoot too much he'd be guilty.

BR's Cob

RAF said:
In Canada all muzzle loaders are firearms.

RAF,

I looked at what a hunting buddy was taking to Canada, and he was shooting an antique flinter. I should have checked the status for the modern rifles.

jim

As far as I know, any rifle that shoots a projectile over 500 FPS is a firearm and has to be licenced. This also includes air rifles as some are capable of those velocities.

OK...is there a particular model for the Savage? I'll have to see if I can find one to check out.

Doug,

Try the Savage M10ML II, that gets you a muzzleloader with AccuTrigger. Then go for the stainless and laminated wood stock version.

You can see pictures on their site, savagearms.com.

jim

Latest posts

Back