Greetings from the Hoosier State

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all and greetings from the Hoosier state.

I’ve been a member for about a month. I decided it’s time to introduce myself. I’ve been shooting muzzleloaders since the early ‘90s. My first rifle was a .54 caliber T/C Rengade. I still have that rifle and still hunt with it some every season.

My primary rifle is a T/C Thunder Hawk Shadow in .54 caliber. My wonderful wife gave this to me as a Christmas gift about 17 or so years ago. It was one of the best gifts ever. I’ve lost track of the number of whitetail deer that have fallen to this rifle.

I mostly shoot heavy conicals, but occasionally still shoot PRBs. My favorite conicals are Hornady Great Plains. Regretably, those are no longer made in .54 cal. When my current supply runs out, I’ll probably switch over to T/C Maxi-Balls. All of my rifles shoot them very well.

I’m glad to be here, and I appreciate all of the members who welcome everyone.

Welcome aboard. I’ve always had good luck with No Excuse conicals. Might be worth trying in your guns.

Well im from michigan but welcome anyways !!! Lol !!! Good to see another 54 guy around here !!!

Thanks everyone. It's really nice to know there are other Hoosiers on this forum. I'm from Muncie, but I own some wooded acres in Washington county near Salem. It is my recreation property. Deer hunting, camping and general mind clearing.

Agreed! I've been shooting 54 since I began. Back then you could find lots of product for the 54. Now it's pretty scarce.
I know its a shame too . The 54 has knock down thats gotta be seen to be believed !!! One time at this dairy farm i used to hunt was walking out with my buddy on a 2 track thru the woods . At the end of the woods were 2 doe ." You take the left side one i will take the one on the right" i said to my partner . He was useing a knight bk92 too but a 50 . On 3 ....1, 2 ,3 bang!!! With about an inch of difference both shots the same . Both conicals . Both pyro select 80gr . Mine spun her and DRT , while his was found about 65yds away . Same size deer . About 75 yd shots . He sold the 50 and got a. 54 lol !!! Field dressing REALLY showed the difference !!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back