Grey Dove mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening/Foodplots' started by MrTom, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sep 5, 2018 #1

MrTom

MrTom

MrTom

This spring I inoculated three poplar log totems with Grey Dove Oyster Mushroom spawn. The totems had to stay wrapped in heavy black plastic until just a week ago. The totems looked mushroomy the minute I got the wraps off. We've had lots of intermittent rain here since the unwrapping. Yesterday I snooped on of the totems where I wouldn't get muddy and found maybe twenty buds and inch long with sweet little caps the size of peas on them. Here thy are today.

I'll wait until Thursday to take the knife to them and we'll have them fresh for din-din.

Attached Files:

2. Oct 5, 2018 #2

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Staff Member Global Moderator

MrTom, You can eat my Portion as well :lol: I’ve grown sensitive to Mushrooms? From the time i was a little boy up until i moved 8 years ago, We picked Morel Mushrooms under Cottonwood Trees on The Wa Coast, I remember them being really good eating, but the last couple of times i had them they messed with my System, I needed to be Close to a Bathroom :lol: I haven’t bothered the Mushrooms since

3. Oct 5, 2018 #3

MrTom

MrTom

MrTom

It was probably slugs that crawled up into the morels and didn't get rinsed out that made you....ill.

4. Oct 5, 2018 #4

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

I love fresh mushrooms but usually only get to eat the common store bought button type. How do you prepare the ones you have?

5. Oct 5, 2018 #5

MrTom

MrTom

MrTom

I rinse them off and dry a little in a soft towel, then I bathe them in butter over a medium heat in a fry pan until the natural water they're full of has cooked out. I don't fry them until they are crispy, just enough to get the water cooked out of them. I fix all mushrooms this way. Right now BDHunter you should be finding the Hen/Chicks of the Woods clumps. Very, very tasty sautéed up in butter and one clump can yield enough petals/leaves for several meals. Look for them at ground level on or near mature oaks. The Hen/Chicks of the Woods eat far better than the morel.

6. Nov 5, 2018 #6

Magnum

Magnum

Magnum

Had my share of Hen of the Woods this year. They are yummy! I think by clarifying the butter helps keep the moisture content down while sautéing.