Grip Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBG

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Are there any regulations against a (ML) pistol having a two-handed grip? I'm not asking about two separate grips front and rear, but a single rear pistol grip that is just big and long enough for both hands to fit together tightly on, somewhat like using a tennis racket double backhand hold - but with a much shorter handle. Of course, the grip could still be held with one hand in the normal way.

I've been shooting MLs for so long I know almost nothing about "modern" gun regulations, or which ones might also apply to MLs. Any info appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by two handed grip. I shot my Kentucky pistol using two hands on the standard grip. Like any handgun.

But as far as regulations are concerned, the fact that Pedersoli makes and sells a short barrel 11" shotgun with a full stock has me thinking that there are no regulations if it's black powder. Yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by two handed grip. I shot my Kentucky pistol using two hands on the standard grip. Like any handgun.

But as far as regulations are concerned, the fact that Pedersoli makes and sells a short barrel 11" shotgun with a full stock has me thinking that there are no regulations if it's black powder. Yet.
Federal regulations do not apply to muzzleloaders like your pistol or firearms made before 1898. Since the Pedersoli is not a firearm, by definition it can’t be a short barreled shotgun. Similarly a short barreled muzzleloading rifle is not a firearm so it cannot be a SBR.

Federal regulations do not apply to muzzleloaders like your pistol or firearms made before 1898. Since the Pedersoli is not a firearm, by definition it can’t be a short barreled shotgun. Similarly a short barreled muzzleloading rifle is not a firearm so it cannot be a SBR.

"By definition it can't be a short barreled shotgun"???
What would you call it?

The Pedersoli Baker Cavalry SxS Shotgun is most certainly "by definition" a shotgun with short barrels.
And because it doesn't fall under federal laws by being black powder is allowed to exist.

I'm really not understanding what your point is. Semantics?

What would you call it?

The Pedersoli Baker Cavalry SxS Shotgun is most certainly "by definition" a shotgun with short barrels.
And because it doesn't fall under federal laws by being black powder is allowed to exist.

Maybe semantics but when it comes to legislation the terms Short Barrel Rifle/Shotgun are well defined

A few million people are having issues at the moment due to the interpretation of those definitions

But it remains - front stuffers are NFA exempt. State law may vary

What would you call it?

It sounds more like you don't know what the term " semantics " means.

What would you call it?

The point is, because it’s not a firearm the feds don’t care about it. Call it what you will.

The point is, because it’s not a firearm the feds don’t care about it. Call it what you will.

Exactly. I said as much. And gave the OP an example.
Sorry you did not understand my wording.

Are there any regulations against a (ML) pistol having a two-handed grip? I'm not asking about two separate grips front and rear, but a single rear pistol grip that is just big and long enough for both hands to fit together tightly on, somewhat like using a tennis racket double backhand hold - but with a much shorter handle. Of course, the grip could still be held with one hand in the normal way.

I've been shooting MLs for so long I know almost nothing about "modern" gun regulations, or which ones might also apply to MLs. Any info appreciated.
The NMLRA even has special elderly, ol folks, decrepit senior survivors matches allowing two hand hold and dot or scope sights. When the oldsters lean on the benches I've never seen anyone mention it...So yes. Lots of guys who seem to need two hands...

Latest posts

Back