Groups and Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - I have a CVA Wolf .50. I sighted it in with Hornady XTP, 240 grain, green sabot…got great groups but was not thrilled with terminal performance. Using 2 pellets of White Hots, Barnes TEZ, 250 grain, blue sabot…just could not get it to group super well. No crazy fliers, but not less than 2 inches like the Hornadys. Blue sabot went down very easy into bore, made me wonder if my bore is a little loose and whether a tighter fitting sabot would help. Got some samples from Harvester, the black premium high pressure (not crush rib) and the crush rib red for the smokeless. Have not tried them yet, hoping maybe to get out to the range this weekend. Anybody have experience using a tighter sabot on purpose to improve the group?

I have two Thompson Omega muzzleloaders and each one takes a different thickness sabot for the 300 grain XTP they shoot so yes, some of us had to try/use different sabots for accuracy.

Hi all - I have a CVA Wolf .50. I sighted it in with Hornady XTP, 240 grain, green sabot…got great groups but was not thrilled with terminal performance. Using 2 pellets of White Hots, Barnes TEZ, 250 grain, blue sabot…just could not get it to group super well. No crazy fliers, but not less than 2 inches like the Hornadys. Blue sabot went down very easy into bore, made me wonder if my bore is a little loose and whether a tighter fitting sabot would help. Got some samples from Harvester, the black premium high pressure (not crush rib) and the crush rib red for the smokeless. Have not tried them yet, hoping maybe to get out to the range this weekend. Anybody have experience using a tighter sabot on purpose to improve the group?
A little off topic, but what performance issues have you gotten with the XTPs?

A little off topic, but what performance issues have you gotten with the XTPs?

Keeping in mind that I am new to muzzleloading…I shot two deer with them, and one of them ran farther than I wanted even though shot placement was great. No blood at all. I did recover deer but it was harder than I wanted. Several people recommended moving to a heavier bullet, so I am trying that next.

Sorry to hear you aren't having good fortunes with the XTP. My son and I have killed a total of 10 deer the last three years with the 240 XTP and 80 grains of Blackhorn. Longest tracking has been 50-60 yards with good blood trails. Only one bullet recovered in the offside hide, and it was a perfect mushroom. The longest shot has been about 80 yards though.

You have to be confident in what you are using, and after two bad experiences I would be looking also. But I am just as confident with the load as I am with my .308 at the distances I normally hunt.

i have in the past used harvester red, black, crush rib and the SB type sabot. in my humble exp. different bullets
like different sabot, in any gun. now i would say most of us with all different guns and powders will have mix
results. the xtp 250 hp have won me over, over the years with red's. i also have used FMJ RN BULLETS plane jane
with SB's and down every deer within 50 yds. i would try different sabot until you find one that takes a little
effort to push down the bore. if you can use 2 fingers to push down its not tight enough.
my take a little range time but, you will find the one, and stick with XTP 250-300 GR. range also. best bang for the $$$
bob

Back