Guess that Bullet Mold?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
First off, I got another .45 Caliber Bullet Mold This Evening, I couldn’t Sleep well last night Knowing i had left this Mold By itself Yesterday, Cold n Lonely, So i went back and Got it :p

Now, Calling All Bullet Mold Guru’s out there! :) What is the Mold that Casts this Bullet? Here are some Hints, and Stats. It is .45 Caliber, Produced by a LARGE Company, Stil Running Strong Today. It is a Nose Pour Mold, and a Tapered Design. It Weighs 518 Grains Cast of PURE Lead, and Measures 1.375 Long. From my limited research, There were Not many of these Molds Made, i read as few as 50 of Them? The Bullet Shot very well from what i Read

aDYIVe9l.jpg

zCNLAp5l.jpg

BPCR Guy’s would get this in a Hurry, But It’s doubtful anyone here will figure this one out, So here goes it.

It is Lyman # 𝟒𝟓𝟕𝟔𝟕𝟔 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐏𝐚𝐮𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐰𝐬.

𝐋𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐧’𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎𝟎 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬. 𝐅𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐥 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐞. 𝐀𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐝𝐞𝐫. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐰𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧. 𝐈𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐮𝐬 𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 .𝟐𝟑𝟎 𝐦𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐜𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐧𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐜𝐨𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐥𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐁𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞 "𝐌𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 - 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨 - 𝐋𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐫𝐚𝐧 𝐚 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞-𝐩𝐨𝐮𝐫 #𝟒𝟓𝟕𝟔𝟕𝟔 𝟓𝟏𝟎-𝐠𝐫. 𝐅𝐏'𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐏𝐚𝐮𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐰𝐬' 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧. 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭. 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥/𝐋𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞-𝐩𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐰𝐨-𝐩𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐥 - 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐝𝐠𝐞 - 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐲-𝐜𝐮𝐭." (𝐏𝐁, 𝟓𝟏𝟎 - 𝐓𝐏 𝐢𝐬 ?)
J3r4oW2l.jpg

lBRJMYUl.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason they made so few was it was causing a lead shortage . Good looking bullet, how much twist will it take to stabilize it?

I got the Mold for the Cool Factor, There Aren’t Many of these Out there. I had NO PROBLEMS at All Casting a VERY HIGH Quality Bullet with it, I got AWESOME Fill Out, SHARP Bases, I Casted the few above to test with PURE Lead Which is FAR Tougher to Cast than an Alloy like 20-1 (it’s intended design, as description on Box Reads) This Mold Will be a pleasure to Cast with 20-1 Alloy, And like the Description on the Box Reads, i Bet it will Hit RIGHT IN THE 510 Grain Range with 20-1 Alloy, as it is Lighter than PURE Lead

The only reason they made so few was it was causing a lead shortage . Good looking bullet, how much twist will it take to stabilize it?

😄 I hear ya! These BIG Bullets require a Large Source of Lead! A Dump Truck backed up to the Pot!

I am gonna try these first few in my 1:20 Twist Rice just Because i favor that Rifle, Barrel So much, i bet it Shoots them just fine? My 1-18 Twist is where it will likely Shoot it’s Best? It will be interesting to play around with it :lewis:

BPCR Guy’s would get this in a Hurry, But It’s doubtful anyone here will figure this one out, So here goes it.

It is Lyman # 𝟒𝟓𝟕𝟔𝟕𝟔 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐏𝐚𝐮𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐰𝐬.

𝐋𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐧’𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎𝟎 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬. 𝐅𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐥 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐞. 𝐀𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐝𝐞𝐫. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐰𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧. 𝐈𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐮𝐬 𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 .𝟐𝟑𝟎 𝐦𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐜𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐧𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐜𝐨𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐥𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐁𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞 "𝐌𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 - 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨 - 𝐋𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐫𝐚𝐧 𝐚 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞-𝐩𝐨𝐮𝐫 #𝟒𝟓𝟕𝟔𝟕𝟔 𝟓𝟏𝟎-𝐠𝐫. 𝐅𝐏'𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐏𝐚𝐮𝐥 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐰𝐬' 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧. 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭. 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥/𝐋𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞-𝐩𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐰𝐨-𝐩𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐥 - 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐝𝐠𝐞 - 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐲-𝐜𝐮𝐭." (𝐏𝐁, 𝟓𝟏𝟎 - 𝐓𝐏 𝐢𝐬 ?)
J3r4oW2l.jpg

lBRJMYUl.jpg
Oh Man!!! I was just about to guess this. What would I have won? :2cool:

Of all the guns that I have owned, and sold, the one I regret the most has to be the Shiloh Sharps 1863 .54 caliber breech muzzleloading carbine that I purchased in 1979. That was just one really cool rifle that I loved shooting.

I have often LUSTED after one of the big bore buffalo guns like a .50-140.

I just watched Quigley Down Under the other night.

I had(and sold )a C Sharps 1874 (45-70) with a 34 inch Badger barrel that I used weekly and it is the only gun I"ve sold that I regretted the next day . Probably never have another as wait times are past my expiration date !

Rifles :: 1874 SHARPS RIFLE You prolly already seen this. But if you decide to pull the trigger on one contact Bill Goodman in Bozeman. He is a dealer for them and for an extra $200.00 (his fee) will have the build done in 3 - 5 months. That's about 1 1/2 to 2 years faster than ordering direct. Shiloh will work with you to make the gun what you want and Kirk will answer any questions and offer any advice that you may need . My newest should be done any time , I ordered in early January. Both Shiloh and Bill have guns on the rack also at times. New Page 1 This will take you to Bills site. Mike

Thanks I"m now working on muzzle loader /long range now just miss the Sharps more than any gun I"ve had ,just warning folks if you have one keep it /end of story/Ed

I use them in my Volunteer and White Rifle, I have taken two moose with them!
Nit Wit

Back