Guide inserts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking for a new casting rod. Want something to run Spider Wire but can't seem to find anything with titanium guide inserts that's not a crap ton of money. Anyone know how well the Zirconium inserts hold up? Research suggests they are a type of ceramic. I used to have a Shakespeare Intrepid Im-7 but sold it a few years back. Great rod shouldn't have sold it.

Zirconium guides do ok with braid. I've used so many different kinds of line over the years, braids included, and now I'm right back to plain old mono on all the rods except two that I use exclusively for vertical jigging and they have 3 pound nanofil on them. I don't bass fish nor do I chase muskies and all of my Great Lakes fishing today is done off a breakwater. I have custom rods that were used with braid at one time that have the zirconium guides and they're fine after a few years of braid use so you should be ok. Actually you can get by with the tiptop being a higher end model and use the lesser expensive guides on the blank. The immediate wear is all on the tip.

Back