Gun and ammunition prices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been waiting for a long time for the gun,knife and sporting good shows to start opening again here in Indiana.Had one 15 miles from whereand my brother and I were exited to go.Since I shoot a 308 rifle I was looking for some ammo for our Nebraska mule deer hunt next Nov.Good thing I have a strong heart when looking at the prices.Rifles and muzzleloader were up 75-80% compared to last year and 308 ammo started at $35.00 for fmj to $75.00 for 150 grain sps tip.Needless to say I walked out empty handed.Will look around for someone that reloads and see what the price might be.

That's actually closer to our standard pricing.

I read a few articles related to it and it seems some people think this could go on for a couple of years.

I'm lucky in that I shoot mostly european calibres for centrefire so ammo availability isn't anywhere near as affected.

Been waiting for a long time for the gun,knife and sporting good shows to start opening again here in Indiana.Had one 15 miles from whereand my brother and I were exited to go.Since I shoot a 308 rifle I was looking for some ammo for our Nebraska mule deer hunt next Nov.Good thing I have a strong heart when looking at the prices.Rifles and muzzleloader were up 75-80% compared to last year and 308 ammo started at $35.00 for fmj to $75.00 for 150 grain sps tip.Needless to say I walked out empty handed.Will look around for someone that reloads and see what the price might be.
Not to be a jerk, but where have you been for the last year?!? Ammo prices have been ridiculous for MONTHS, and since gun show prices are inflated in normal times, I’m kind of surprised they weren’t worse than what you saw.
I load 308, and if I were closer, I wouldn’t mind loading some rounds for you. However, the price would have to reflect the cost to replace the components, because whether you realize it or not, reloading components are extremely scarce now too and have gone up like ammo.

since I only shoot afew times before and during hunting season,I di n it keep up on things that often.I have roughly 4 boxes of once fired brass that I was hoping to have reloaded then I would have plenty for awhile.I did notice there were a lot of supplies for reloading at the show.

Unfortunately I believe that you are correct. I shoot PRS and God help me if I didn't have a stash of powder and primers for next season!
I’ve been stocked up for years but ramped up more after Sandy Hook, and since I mostly crossbow hunt now, I probably have a ”lifetime” supply of powder and primers for my rifles.
It’s the guys that buy ammo one box at a time that are really in a bind, and to be honest, I don’t really have much sympathy. We’ve had too many “scares” in recent years, so if your still unprepared, that’s totally on them.

Did not ask for anyones sympathy.I do not shoot enough to buy mass quanities of ammo as you think we all should.Not in a bind,just I am notgoing to pay $75.00 for a box of 20 rounds.I have plenty of ammo for "protection" if it comes down to that.

Did not ask for anyones sympathy.I do not shoot enough to buy mass quanities of ammo as you think we all should.Not in a bind,just I am notgoing to pay $75.00 for a box of 20 rounds.I have plenty of ammo for "protection" if it comes down to that.
I wasn’t referring to you at all. I’m on a TX hunting/shooting board that has people I know to be very well off financially looking for handouts or “deals”, because they chose to live it up instead of stocking a little extra ammo. I’m seeing people without ammo telling those with ammo what they’re going to pay, and they get told to pound sand.
It would be like someone coming on here looking to buy BH209 and telling the guy that has some for sale that he’ll buy it but only pay $15/jug.

Last edited:
In another thread someone noted that the primer shortage has spilled over to musket caps and #11's, and yeah I would agree with that opinion. Here too (Southwest VA). I found some #11s in Roanoke.

Even 777 was hard to find recently so I picked up 3 cans in Beckley WV. That will have to do for now.

Latest posts

Back