Gun and ammunition prices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishhawk, I think it will be a loonnnnggggg time before that ammo crash happens. I would love to be wrong though. Personally if that ever happens I will make sure I have plenty to last me and mine a very very long time

Fishhawk, I think it will be a loonnnnggggg time before that ammo crash happens. I would love to be wrong though. Personally if that ever happens I will make sure I have plenty to last me and mine a very very long time
Problem is if everyone does that prices will never go down.

I’m with you, I believe we are in for Several Years of this Crap, I hope not, But if i were a betting Man, i’d place a LARGE Bet on it.

Some might say i am part of the Cause, if you read this thread
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/another-question-11-caps.38185/page-2
But Fact is our Local Co-op Had their CCi #11 Percussion Caps in a Big Bin on Closeout, Trying to get rid of them. So i loaded up on Several Thousand of them at a VERY discounted Price :) But i also shoot a TREMENDOUS Amount, FAR MORE Than the average fella. So they won’t actually last nearly as long as one might think

Look at it this way. When all the Chicken Littles calm down, and ammo starts hitting the shelves, everyone will be so stocked up that ammo prices will crash. Cheap ammo on the way. The only question is how long?
Not for nothing BUT, I've been closely related to retail and some commercial enterprises. My outlook on these supplies that have dried up and become hard or impossible to find, then when located,prices are triple than normal, prices come down, but hardly to where they were before. THAT will be the new normal.

Just before Covid and this last election cycle, I was buying Lake City SS109 green tip for under 30 cents a round. Lately, I have seen it SELLING not asking, for about 70 cents a round. Last election cycle (2016) green tip got to about 60 cents a round. This cycle was worse due to Covid but this is the pattern every cycle. Will the price come back down to pre Covid levels? Only time will tell.

Just before Covid and this last election cycle, I was buying Lake City SS109 green tip for under 30 cents a round. Lately, I have seen it SELLING not asking, for about 70 cents a round. Last election cycle (2016) green tip got to about 60 cents a round. This cycle was worse due to Covid but this is the pattern every cycle. Will the price come back down to pre Covid levels? Only time will tell.
NOPE!!!/Ed

Current group running (ruining) the country will only make the supply shortage and rising prices continue in the same direction. The bigger attack will be coming in the form of more gun control laws as soon as the new attorney general is confirmed. I pray I'm not correct!!

Couldn’t agree more. People are panic Buying & for good reason

Last edited:
The traumatized ammo buyers we'll never stop. A buddy of mine has 1,200 rounds of 350 legend just bought the gun too.

I asked him how many deer he plans on taking in a lifetime.

If prices go down stockpilers will still stockpile.

you know that whole attitude of got to have it before they come and take all my guns and ammo away that everybody has :eek:but they've never come to take our ammo or guns away.

Last edited:
The traumatized ammo buyers we'll never stop. A buddy of mine has 1,200 rounds of 350 legend just bought the gun too.

I asked him how many deer he plans on taking in a lifetime.

If prices go down stockpilers will still stockpile.

you know that whole attitude of got to have it before they come and take all my guns and ammo away that everybody has :eek:but they've never come to take our ammo or guns away.
Until they do...

Until they do...

If and when that day comes it's not going to happen overnight. Think far future as in not in our lifetimes. when I think of a Nation with no guns particularly America I think the age of Star Trek that far ahead.

Currently people are too primitive and we rely on things too much for anyone to ban them in the United States.

Let's face it if they banned them in jolly Old England it's because they voted on it. Majority ruled for their continent and decided that guns was something they didn't want.

On the same note if the world came together and decided they no longer needed guns then maybe.

until then enjoy your firearms without fear of somebody coming and snatching them in the middle of the night.

Also let's not forget even in jelly old England it's perfectly legal to own a smooth bore shotgun which is an extremely versatile and nimble weapon.

Unfortunately, there always has been and always will be people that are willing to take advantage of a bad situation. When the chicken littles of the world quit panic buying every box they can find, the retailers quit charging 3x the common price. I bought a box of hornady superformance 7mm-08 for 26 dollars two weeks ago, the next week I saw some online retailers trying to sell them for 89.99. They fact that they have been on there for over a week and nobody has paid that for them does give me hope that maybe things will get better soon.

Unfortunately, there always has been and always will be people that are willing to take advantage of a bad situation. When the chicken littles of the world quit panic buying every box they can find, the retailers quit charging 3x the common price. I bought a box of hornady superformance 7mm-08 for 26 dollars two weeks ago, the next week I saw some online retailers trying to sell them for 89.99. They fact that they have been on there for over a week and nobody has paid that for them does give me hope that maybe things will get better soon.

I hear you the most ridiculous thing I saw recently is a tray of 50 9 mm being sold for $80. They look like they came out of a much larger pack and were Saran wrapped. Okay they were hollow point rounds but still come on.

I hear you the most ridiculous thing I saw recently is a tray of 50 9 mm being sold for $80. They look like they came out of a much larger pack and were Saran wrapped. Okay they were hollow point rounds but still come on.

I've been seeing 10 count bags of green tips for 15 dollars.. :rolleyes:

Here is something that you viewers of this thread may ponder.
You might have read or heard about all of the new gun owners that have bought their first gun in the last year. I believe it almost hit the million mark if it didn't exceed that figure. Now these are first time buyers so they need ammunition for these firearms and to keep it simple let us say 100 rounds. That is a 100 million rounds! Add to that people buying extra ammunition for the following reasons.
1. The election cycle.
2. Engaging in shooting sports because other sporting activities have restricted attendance.
3. Preppers concerned about the pandemic.
4. Stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket.

There are area ammunition manufactures that have increased production and I am optimistic that the prices will come back down to a reasonable level. I don"t think that 9mm will be at twenty cents a round again.

Last edited:
You might have read or heard about all of the new gun owners that have bought their first gun in the last year. I believe it is almost hit the million mark if it didn't exceed that figure. Now these are first time buyers so they need ammunition for these firearms and to keep it simple let us say 100 rounds. That is a 100 million rounds! Add to that people buying extra ammunition for the following reasons.
1. The election cycle.
2. Engaging in shooting sports because other sporting activities have restricted attendance.

There are area ammunition manufactures that have increased production and I am optimistic that the prices will come back down to a reasonable level. I don"t think that 9mm will be at twenty cents a round again.
HA/Ed

Current group running (ruining) the country will only make the supply shortage and rising prices continue in the same direction. The bigger attack will be coming in the form of more gun control laws as soon as the new attorney general is confirmed. I pray I'm not correct!!

Lets do some basic social studies. First of all, The Attorney General does not make laws. The AG generally decides if a law has been broken and then prosecutes the law breaker. Laws are made and passed in congress. Laws that get through congress then have to be signed by the President. Even though the democratic party controls the house, the senate, and the WH it still takes a 60 member vote in the senate to pass a gun control law. Now the Prez can issue an executive order to make changes but these orders are short term and I'm SURE any order he would issue would be challenged in court and right up to The Supreme Court. See where I'm going with this? With a six to three conservative majority I don't see any negative gun control laws/order going very far.

IMO the reason we are experiencing these ammo/primer/powder shortages is due to the chicken littles/fearmongers. People need to take a deep breath, relax and unless you are desperate for ammo, don't buy. When the ammo pirates and shady retailers are up to their necks with ammo (I hope they choke on it) that's not selling, the price will come down and ammo will be available.

You might have read or heard about all of the new gun owners that have bought their first gun in the last year. I believe it almost hit the million mark if it didn't exceed that figure. Now these are first time buyers so they need ammunition for these firearms and to keep it simple let us say 100 rounds. That is a 100 million rounds! Add to that people buying extra ammunition for the following reasons.
1. The election cycle.
4. Stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket.

Over 5 million new owners of firearms in 2020 with some estimates up to 7 million.

Back