Gun and ammunition prices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I can't say whether he read the above articles that you cited to spew his information.
Yeah i guess the company that actually makes the powder knows nothing about it and CVA rated the rifle for 3 pellets which makes FAR more pressure than 100gr of Pyro P.

Yeah i guess the company that actually makes the powder knows nothing about it and CVA rated the rifle for 3 pellets which makes FAR more pressure than 100gr of Pyro P.

Here's an example of what I've learned yep you must be right. Lol

You horde you horde shot a little horde some more then you die. Your family gives it all way since they have no interest in it. Or shoots it all up. So what good did all the hording do you what enjoyment did you get from it. Seen it happen twice. One friend got some of it but only what he needs a few box’s.
Me I have a few box’s of everything I use for hunting. Maybe 100 rounds ea. For my competition mybe 1000. And enough reloading supply to replace it for a year or two. For my 22 maybe 5k rounds extra because I shot it w the grand kids. We limit the shooting to 100 rounds per outing.
Man i can go thru 100 .22lr in a minute. But you're right about enjoying it while still alive to enjoy it. I hope i dont enjoy to the point that i run out of supplies. I just happened to go into a LGS as they were un packing a shipment of powder! I scored #1 of lil gun, #1 of tiregroup and 8# of accurate #5! At non marked up, reasonable prices. If i wasnt married i would kissed that girl that helped me. :woohoo:

Hopefully ammunition companies won't do like the peanut buyers did in 2012, they jacked up the price of peanut butter, all Mars candy and peanut oil through the roof and blamed farmers because market value on peanuts hit $1000/ton. In truth, only about 3% of the national crop sold at $1000, most all of the peanuts bought went for 600 a ton. Now ever since then we've been fighting to get 400 to 450 dollars a ton but have groceries gone down? No sir.

A year and a half ago, I could buy a box of 9mm FMJ ammo for $12.99 a box. Now, they want $50 a box. Are you kidding me? I am not trying to stock pile, I just want some to shoot. I could just reload if I could get primers and powder. Somehow I managed to pick up a box of 500 FMJ bullets on sale somewhere, and I have picked up 9mm brass from time to time. What the heck?

Well about 20 years ago I had a pistol a Ruger p95. I used to go to the range about once a month. On the day that I was ready to go to the range I would just stop off at Walmart. It was at Walmart that I would pick up a box of Remington ammunition for about 12 or 13 dollars. I never had an issue with them being out of stock or it being hard to find. I never felt the need to stockpile ammunition.

I gave up the firearms until recently now I have come back into the fold. Boy the game has changed and not in a good way.

A year and a half ago, I could buy a box of 9mm FMJ ammo for $12.99 a box. Now, they want $50 a box. Are you kidding me? I am not trying to stock pile, I just want some to shoot. I could just reload if I could get primers and powder. Somehow I managed to pick up a box of 500 FMJ bullets on sale somewhere, and I have picked up 9mm brass from time to time. What the heck?

I hear ya. It’s a joke at best

Last edited:
I’m with you, I believe we are in for Several Years of this Crap, I hope not, But if i were a betting Man, i’d place a LARGE Bet on it.

Some might say i am part of the Cause, if you read this thread
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/another-question-11-caps.38185/page-2
But Fact is our Local Co-op Had their CCi #11 Percussion Caps in a Big Bin on Closeout, Trying to get rid of them. So i loaded up on Several Thousand of them at a VERY discounted Price :) But i also shoot a TREMENDOUS Amount, FAR MORE Than the average fella. So they won’t actually last nearly as long as one might think

You're a badddd boy, having so many caps. Nah, I can't blame you for being tired of this nonsense and just wanting to make sure you have what you need. Actually, I think sadly thats where we are. Make sure you have what you might need, as eventually you won't be able to get it .

I was out in a bigger city a couple of months ago, at least bigger for me ... there is a Gander Mountain there. Now I don't usually fool with Gander Mountain because I've never liked their prices or their focus on being Glitzy. This ain't Kalifornia.

Anyway, I wondered if they had #11 caps, and they did.. about 20 individual tins of them. I bought 15 of the 20, although I had about 1200 (12 tins) already.

I learned how to make pretty good BP a few years ago, and I'm not talking about half ass junk. I'm talking about willow charcoal based good stuff, down to the point of actually granulation it. I'm a big believer in being prepared, not paranoid but prepared....

Powders are slowly making their way back into the market, but they literally get sold within 5 to 10 minutes. It doesn't matter what kind, pistol, rifle, shotgun or BP.
The big box stores are getting a trickle of ammo, and it really isn't marked up too bad (compared to the secondary market). Cabela's has been selling Herter's 9mm FMJ for $30 a hundred round box. When they can get it.

And to think..... I’d do the same thing again if i had another Can of it :D

tDdgS6c.jpg

Plus 1 on powder being relatively normal price. It's sad though I talked to one guy he knew a lot about firearms not much about black powder. Tried to tell me that pyrodex p is good for rifles and pistols he went on to say rifles use three f powder.

I doubt he knows the difference between a black powder substitute an actual black powder.

They had one pack of CCI number 11 caps.

Sounds like the guy knows his stuff. It is very common for people to use 3f in a rifle (Pyrodex R is 2f granulation & Pyrodex P is 3f granulation), in fact most manufacturers recommend it over 2f for .45 cal and less.
My favorite pet load for shooting PRB in my .54 is 80 grains of 3f. I get the same accuracy out of it as I do 90 grains of 2f, but with less powder being used and less fouling left in the bore. I love it in comparison to 2f fouling wise.
I have a friend whose .54 rifle prefers 2f, and he just uses the 2f in his .45 cal pistol too at club shoots so he doesn't have to have different granulation's. Works just fine and he hits with it a lot more than he misses.
You kind of went off "half-cocked" there, it is your knowledge that is a bit incomplete.
You're certainly not wrong to question the folks behind the counter of most box store firearm counters though.

Sounds like the guy knows his stuff. It is very common for people to use 3f in a rifle (Pyrodex R is 2f granulation & Pyrodex P is 3f granulation), in fact most manufacturers recommend it over 2f for .45 cal and less.
My favorite pet load for shooting PRB in my .54 is 80 grains of 3f. I get the same accuracy out of it as I do 90 grains of 2f, but with less powder being used and less fouling left in the bore. I love it in comparison to 2f fouling wise.
I have a friend whose .54 rifle prefers 2f, and he just uses the 2f in his .45 cal pistol too at club shoots so he doesn't have to have different granulation's. Works just fine and he hits with it a lot more than he misses.
You kind of went off "half-cocked" there, it is your knowledge that is a bit incomplete.
You're certainly not wrong to question the folks behind the counter of most box store firearm counters though.
If you say so.

They don't really recommend two f powder for pistols do they? In my mind that makes one for rifle one for pistol.

And as far as I'm concerned my knowledge is complete is it needs to be.

Somebody's lost their flippin mind! I saw last wk on GB someone was trying to auction off a partially USED bottle of BH 209 with "approx 6oz" left for 50.00 was the price I last saw. SHM & LOLing absolutely unbelievable & up till not so long ago - unimaginable too.
the same guy is auctioning off 8 lbs of IMR the going bid is 800. WHAT!!!!!o_O

Stopped at Greentop on way back from Richmond VA. Got the covid shot. 1st one. If I had to wrestle a Grizzly now, the grizzel would lose. Feel bad. Anyway they had a lot of Pellets prodex ect. One tin of winged Musket caps 100, I got them, and 20 or so of some thing called Federal muzzleloading primer 209, 100ct. ($8.54) I got three to try.

Back