Gun Broker gone bad

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter32

Reaction score
Well I was leary but thought the A+ rating and almost 600 good reviews meant I'd be safe. I bought 3 muzzleloaders on gun broker and have the following issues:

Severe pitting in all barrels towards the bottom and severe gouges in 1 of them.

Bead on front sight broken on 1

Safety/trigger damaged to render the gun unusable for 1, can't switch between safe and fire and won't hold hammer back (looking closer at photos shows it was this way when sold)

Bolt/hammer won't thread out by hand on 1 (hence the no longer existent knurls)

The listing definition: "Here is a nice lot of 3 Knight Muzzle loaders. 2 are Mk 85's chambered in 50 Cal and 1 LX 93 chambered in 54 Cal. all have great bores and are mechanically solid shooters. Please feel free to ask any and all the questions that you need to assure you are placing your informed bid with confidence that this is the item for you."

I'm hoping the seller does right by it and lets me return it or offers a large partial refund. He only accepts certified funds for his sales..

Thanks for letting me vent..
IMG_20200723_131727920.jpgIMG_20200723_130408646.jpgIMG_20200723_123526087_copy_750x1000.jpgIMG_20200723_123521626_copy_750x1000.jpg

I hear ya, definitely sounds like
Respectfully, I disagree. No doubt a certain level of risk is involved, however, when an item is listed as nice, great bores, and mechanically solid shooters" you should at least be able to shoot it..
I hear ya, definitely sounds like you got f'd over. Sorry to say that you can't hardly trust nobody anymore.
I sincerely hope that they do the right thing for you.

I purchased a Knight Disc Elite 50 a few years back. The claim was the same, shootable. When I received the rifle I noticed that the breach plug could not be removed. When I contacted the seller he said that he was unaware that they needed to be removed so he never did. Never returned the rifle nor was compensated. Buyer beware when it comes to purchasing on gunbroker. They really need to take care of the buyer as Ebay does.

Anytime you buy a Muzzleloader sight unseen you are taking a VERY BIG Risk, Regardless of what Online site You purchase it from, Some people’s idea/description of “Good Shape, Excellent Shape” Etc. Can Vary LARGELY with yours. The ABSOLUTE Safest places to Purchase used Muzzleloaders is RIGHT HERE on these Muzzleloader Forums in their Classified sections, From well known members.

As a potential Buyer. I would want to see LOTS of upclose, DETAILED Pictures, Especially the Bore, and in the Breech area. With the Old Plunger Style Guns like the Knight MK-85 if i see a Shiny Bolt Collar on a Blued Gun (Like the one in your pic above) This is from using Pliers to remove it, If someone does that to their Rifle, that tells me they don’t have much care about it, i would avoid it.
xgJHRDn.jpg

On a Sidelock Muzzleloader, a quick glance at the Breech Plug around the Nipple area, and the Hammer Face Can say a LOT, if i see Obvious Pitting and Rust, it’s VERY likely the Bore is the Same, or Worse, I would AVOID These ones no matter what the seller says about the Gun. If someone can’t take the time to Clean these SIMPLE Exterior surfaces, it’s HIGHLY doubtful that they took the Time to Clean the interior

Last edited:
Exactly what Lewis said! I've looked at rows of used muzzle loaders in gun stores that caught my eye from a distance, only to look down the barrel and they look like a crusted sewer pipe.

Well good news, good news, and bad news.

The seller is sending me 250$ back. This puts my total at 300$ for the 2 MK85s and a .54 LK93.

I did some minor filing on the threads for the hammer (right term?) And can now thread it in by hand.

I bent the safety selector back but got greedy bringing it all the way to its original position and it broke off. So I'll need a new trigger.

On the MKs, one barrel is 4" shorter than the other. Is this an original option? One is roughly 23" from end of action and the other..

I guess I'll just have to see how they shoot, but with the extent of the pitting Idk..

I only posted photos of the bores of the MKs. You can't see rifling bc there really isn't any left at the muzzle...

The LK I haven't pictured at all as it is actually pretty close to mint condition from bore to stock.

Daaaang! Im sorry. Do you think you can make one shooter out of the 2 and sell the rest as parts? You should be able to get at least $150 for a laminate stock, i would think.

Makes it more of a chore to clean, but, you may find they shoot okay.
My sons .58 musket has a bore that looks waaaay worse than those and it shoots pretty dang good. I’ve shot an 1.5” group at 100 yards with it (open sights obviously) and I’m half blind.
For $100 a piece, you didn’t get too bad of a deal. The stocks and actions look worth that or more.
Hope that makes you feel better....
I bought a White Whitetail .504 SS off of GB in “good” condition that showed up at my door without even being cleaned.
I only paid $250.
It had a Redfield 3x9 on it. I haven’t played with it much yet. Initial outings with it weren’t good.
I bet I can get it to shoot though.
I can always re-barrel if needed and still feel like I got an okay deal.

Get out the JBs. You might find that they clean up fairly well and shoot decent. I had the same experience as you buying an MK off of GunBroker. Mine shoots very well.

Well I was leary but thought the A+ rating and almost 600 good reviews meant I'd be safe. I bought 3 muzzleloaders on gun broker and have the following issues:

Severe pitting in all barrels towards the bottom and severe gouges in 1 of them.

Bead on front sight broken on 1

Safety/trigger damaged to render the gun unusable for 1, can't switch between safe and fire and won't hold hammer back (looking closer at photos shows it was this way when sold)

Bolt/hammer won't thread out by hand on 1 (hence the no longer existent knurls)

The listing definition: "Here is a nice lot of 3 Knight Muzzle loaders. 2 are Mk 85's chambered in 50 Cal and 1 LX 93 chambered in 54 Cal. all have great bores and are mechanically solid shooters. Please feel free to ask any and all the questions that you need to assure you are placing your informed bid with confidence that this is the item for you."

I'm hoping the seller does right by it and lets me return it or offers a large partial refund. He only accepts certified funds for his sales..

Thanks for letting me vent..
View attachment 9882View attachment 9883View attachment 9884View attachment 9885
Please contact GunBroker and file a fraud report. The seller needs to make this right. Inform him that you are filing out a report against him for posting a fraudulent description of the said rifles, GunBroker will make it right to your satisfaction. Find out what your options are before accepting any monies from the seller.

Bowhunter, I had a friend give me a Traditions Buckstalker with scope that was still loaded and had been shot 2 years previous. I already had a gun so gave it to a young man who hunts with me. You couldn't see the rifling in the barrel. He scrubbed and cleaned it and finaly shot it with 255 grain bullets and sabots. It shoots fine. The more he shoots it the cleaner the barrel looks although we know there is a limit to how much it will improve. I would think conicals may not shoot as well but if your shooting sabots I think you will be OK.

Not always about the looks. I have a 338 Win Mag in a m77 Ruger. The only way I could get it to shoot to my standards was to bed the front of the barrel and put a hose clamp on it. Not pretty (not ugly) but I have 2 fellows wanting to buy the gun after they shot it. Pretty is nice, accuracy is better. Pretty and nice together, priceless.

If nothing works out, and you end up with the rifles, it may be possible to either re-barrel the pitted rifle, or have Bobby Hoyt ream the barrel's pitting out, and re-rifle it to a larger caliber.

Latest posts

Back