Gun show purchases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well i made a little extra cash this week so i went to a little gun show in Mason MI today. The typical over priced ammo and about 10k ARs and Glocks for sale. I did find a few deals tho. I bought a nice ss .50 Omega for $125, real nice bore and some scuffs on the stock and barrel.
Then i found an Armi San Marco(Italy) made .44 single shot clone of the Tingle pistols for $112.
But there were some MLs i didnt buy that i really wanted.
A Knight ss MK95
50 in fair condition asking $250
A ss Ruger Old Army asking $895 in fair condition. And a CVA HunterBolt .50 that had a custom stock and looked like someone really was tricking it out. But what almost got me to buy another gun was a brand new Traditions Lightning .45 1:20" twist. Guy was asking $200 but they always want to dump the MLs at these shows. It was a sweet looking bolt gun. But when i picked it up i almost dropped it. The thing is so front heavy it nearly slipped out of my hands. Anyone else have one? What do you think about them. A little weight in the stock would balance it out but are they good shooters? Looked really nice.

I have a 50 cal Lightning with the screw on muzzle break. Bolt is a bear to cycle and gums up quick. When I used it, I took off the muzzzle break as it was a pain to clean. Never could find what it liked, best group back then was 2 to 2.5 inches at 50 yards using 80 to 100grs of Pyrodex and a 250 gr smackdown. Haven't used it in many years. Cayuga (RIP) got one and sent it back because of the bolt.

You got a really good deal on the Omega.

I think the key is to get to the small shows. The bigger shows like at Novi, MI. Have more vendors and stuff but are more expensive to get into(for vendors and buyers) and always seem to have worse prices and the vendors have been less inclined to haggle, even at the end of the last day.

Yeah you have to be careful. Its like gambling. I dont take more money than i want/can afford to spend. There are some good deals to be found if you are diligent and stay focused. I went around and looked at everything first, and took notes on what i wanted to go back to. Then i prioritized what i wanted to buy and when i got to the last thing that i wanted(.44 ml pistol) i pulled out the $ i had left ($112) and said this is my offer for that pistol. He took it gladly.
When i told the lady i would buy the omega she pulled out a 4473 form, i told her "this is a muzzleloader" she said she didn't know they had one there. Some of the vendors just want to unload MLs. I did see some good deals on nice used variable scopes, but i was looking for a 6x fixed power.

Personally, I hate a front heavy gun. I had one, and when I carried it on my shoulder it constantly slipped backwards leaving the gun almost horizontal. Sold it.
Thats kind of what i was thinking. If i had another $100 at the time, and he was willing to let it go that cheap, i would have had one more project to play with.
Ive heard some say that a front heavy gun can get on target quicker?

I don't believe so. it looked like a regular #11 set up to me. I thought it as an MK85 til i looked at the tag.

The MK 95 should have come with both ignitions Posi-fire (uses Speer 38spl plastic target case and LRMP primer) and the #11. Unfortunately in the used market they usually only have one or the other.

At those prices, you should have bought them and sold them here. New Mexico's moron governor won't allow gun shows at our state fair buildings anymore. That was the cheapest venue around. The one in Rio Rancho was expensive and mostly modern firearms.

Latest posts

Back