Gun show purchases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't know if they are ever at our state fair grounds. This one was at a county fairground. They are usually at private centers or county fairgrounds. They dont do much advertising either. I didnt hear a radio ad til the day it opened, of course that helps keeps prices down. I grabbed some fliers for their next few shows so I can hit some other spots. Maybe some new vendors will show up. If I have the $ i may be able to pick up some and resell them here, at least recoup my cost

I just remembered seeing two plastic 1lb bottles that said goex. I grabbed up one and saw that it said 'black powder substitutes' i put it back and forgot about it. They looked old and were priced at $15 each. But ive never heard of goex making a sub powder. Anyone know about it?

You certainly found a mother lode. Haven't seen nor heard of M/L's in quantity around here in years at shows. Most are turning into flea markets and black gun displays. Sad.
I did get to fondle a Tavor and a Steyr AUG side by side. Ive want one or the other for a while so that was pretty cool. I was also hoping to checkout a Ruger Precision .17hmr but none were to be found anywhere.

I just remembered seeing two plastic 1lb bottles that said goex. I grabbed up one and saw that it said 'black powder substitutes' i put it back and forgot about it. They looked old and were priced at $15 each. But ive never heard of goex making a sub powder. Anyone know about it?

Was it Goex Clear Shot? I never had much luck with the # I was given to try and it stained my Black Diamond inside the receiver and I never could get it clean again.

Im not sure. All i saw was Goex Subsitute Powder. Then i got distracted by something shiney. I dont think it said clear shot tho.

Looks like they also had Pinnacle made by APP with a Goex label.

I've not hung around the muzzleloader shop since I quit working there 16 years ago. I had experimented with Clear Shot for the shop owner, but I had to use Google to come up with Pinnacle (which is also no longer made).

Looks like they also had Pinnacle made by APP with a Goex label.

I've not hung around the muzzleloader shop since I quit working there 16 years ago. I had experimented with Clear Shot for the shop owner, but I had to use Google to come up with Pinnacle (which is also no longer made).
Same guy was there again, still had the stuff. It did say Pinnacle on the can.

MM I need to attend that show someday. Dang you scored on that Omega!
Sometimes you just dont find anything worth buying, but sometimes theres a good deal waiting to be found. It seems they will be more likely to come down on the price as it gets closer to the shows end. ML get no love at the shows. Almost every time i look at a ML at a show someone claims that its ‘never been fired’. Funny and sad since they must think that most people cant tell the dif between new and used MLs.

Sometimes you just dont find anything worth buying, but sometimes theres a good deal waiting to be found. It seems they will be more likely to come down on the price as it gets closer to the shows end. ML get no love at the shows. Almost every time i look at a ML at a show someone claims that its ‘never been fired’. Funny and sad since they must think that most people cant tell the dif between new and used MLs.
Yes that is true. I've scored some good deals over the last few years since Michigan has made it legal now to hunt in the lower portion of the state with certain straight walled cartridges. Its almost made ML's obsolete and dealers are wanting to broom them. But there's still the enthusiasts like us who are ready to strike at the deals.

I stopped going to gun shows around here because the prices were insane. Not like it used to be many years ago where you could actually get deals. IMO you're better off going to local gun shops and at least there you can pick up a deal once in a while. About 5 years ago I picked up an almost mint condition Winchester 94 in 32 Spl for $250. I even asked the owner if it was priced correctly! I sold it just the other day for $500 with 80 rounds of ammo.

I stopped going to gun shows around here because the prices were insane. Not like it used to be many years ago where you could actually get deals. IMO you're better off going to local gun shops and at least there you can pick up a deal once in a while. About 5 years ago I picked up an almost mint condition Winchester 94 in 32 Spl for $250. I even asked the owner if it was priced correctly! I sold it just the other day for $500 with 80 rounds of ammo.
You're 100% right. Prices at the show are terrible. Almost like the expect us to haggle. A couple cf guns i tried to make offers on, i was just blown off. That makes it easier for me to lowball offer on the few MLs i find there.

Imlay City , MI had the Woods and Water weekend a few weeks ago. Its only 2 miles away. Long ago I went but there is very little I need anymore. Besides, I don't like paying to park and paying again to get in to see the exhibits. I love watching the Albrecht Auction and it has been very good to me. Everything else I buy on line.

Last edited:
Imlay City , MI had the Woods and Water weekend a few weeks ago. Its only 2 miles away. Long ago I went but there is very little I need anymore. Besides, I don't like paying to park and paying again to get in to see the exhibits. I love watching the Albrecht Auction and it has been very good to me. Everything else I but on line.
I dont like going to the Novi Expo shows for that reason. Big shows, big crowds, big prices. The Ingham county fairground shows are the same shows with fewer people, free parking, cheap entry, but still high prices.

Other than vendors selling new rifles because they are dealers, ive normally found "new old stock" MLs and used at very low pricing at gunshows. I gave $165 total for a NIB MK85 Predator 54cal one year. Pristine new in box with everything Knight included. Finds like that im sure are far more rare now. No one wants older tech MLs unless they know about how well some were made. Vendors often blow them out cheap at shows instead of dealing with online auction site.

Ammunition prices at DFW-area gun shows went through the roof two or three years ago, even before COVID showed up. It's gotten to where the prices dealers ask for ammo are a little to a lot higher than what you can get at Cabellas or Academy. Same with guns - a year ago I saw a German-made revolver which, when I went through the police academy in 1983, was considered cheap by street standards (RW brand?). This one was 22 Shorts only, and came with a box of ammo - all for not quite 6 Benjamins. Hell, when Raven 25's go for more than $225, you know that civilization as we know it has come to and end ......

Latest posts

Back