Gun show purchases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imlay City , MI had the Woods and Water weekend a few weeks ago. Its only 2 miles away. Long ago I went but there is very little I need anymore. Besides, I don't like paying to park and paying again to get in to see the exhibits. I love watching the Albrecht Auction and it has been very good to me. Everything else I buy on line.
I miss the gun shows of 30+yrs ago. There was no " nickle n dimeing " everyone for every cent they could come up with a way to squeeze out of them back the. And, it was THEE place to go for good deals on new & used guns, but it was always primarily a " cash n carry " private sales.

Lol...a Raven for $225 ! My cousin used to teach handgun saftey and training classes and when someone would show up with one he would ask if they really valued their life to put their faith in one of these POS.

In Michigan, I remember the old Bill Goodman shows at the Lightguard Armory off of 8 mile. I think he had another one at another location too. They were awesome shows. Even the Michigan Antique Arms shows at the old Southfield Civic Center were a great time. And not a bunch of that flea market crap shows allow to fill up tables.

In Michigan, I remember the old Bill Goodman shows at the Lightguard Armory off of 8 mile. I think he had another one at another location too. They were awesome shows. Even the Michigan Antique Arms shows at the old Southfield Civic Center were a great time. And not a bunch of that flea market crap shows allow to fill up tables.
Dad, took me to some of those we were near six mile.

The first gunshow i ever went to was a Goodman show at the armory.

Well i made a little extra cash this week so i went to a little gun show in Mason MI today. The typical over priced ammo and about 10k ARs and Glocks for sale. I did find a few deals tho. I bought a nice ss .50 Omega for $125, real nice bore and some scuffs on the stock and barrel.
Then i found an Armi San Marco(Italy) made .44 single shot clone of the Tingle pistols for $112.
But there were some MLs i didnt buy that i really wanted.
A Knight ss MK95
50 in fair condition asking $250
A ss Ruger Old Army asking $895 in fair condition. And a CVA HunterBolt .50 that had a custom stock and looked like someone really was tricking it out. But what almost got me to buy another gun was a brand new Traditions Lightning .45 1:20" twist. Guy was asking $200 but they always want to dump the MLs at these shows. It was a sweet looking bolt gun. But when i picked it up i almost dropped it. The thing is so front heavy it nearly slipped out of my hands. Anyone else have one? What do you think about them. A little weight in the stock would balance it out but are they good shooters? Looked really nice.
I think the key is to get to the small shows. The bigger shows like at Novi, MI. Have more vendors and stuff but are more expensive to get into(for vendors and buyers) and always seem to have worse prices and the vendors have been less inclined to haggle, even at the end of the last day.
I’ve given up on gun shows for several years. But now with a T/C, Knight etc in-line craving it looks like I’ll have to hit a couple in the area. The nearby pawnshop/LGS won’t pawn any used BP other than an ROA.

I’ve given up on gun shows for several years. But now with a T/C, Knight etc in-line craving it looks like I’ll have to hit a couple in the area. The nearby pawnshop/LGS won’t pawn any used BP other than an ROA.
#1 piece of advice - Take a borescope!
A small one that can fit in your pocket or wife's purse. The Teslong from Amazon can hook up to most smart fones is a great one.

At those prices, you should have bought them and sold them here. New Mexico's moron governor won't allow gun shows at our state fair buildings anymore. That was the cheapest venue around. The one in Rio Rancho was expensive and mostly modern firearms.
Bought my first centerfire Mauser 98 in .270 at the state fair show from an Albuquerque gunsmith in 1993 for $250.

Latest posts

Back