Gunfire and anxiety

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

Reaction score
Suggestion on how to get a dog to stop having an anxiety attack when I target shoot. He stays in the house and I shoot in backyard. Wife says he pants and gets very nervous. It is to the point that if I take out a gun, he runs and hides.
He is a three year old Aussie. Ideas? Ear plugs?

Probably too late, you know "old dog new tricks".
But, here's what I do. I have been doing a variation of this for 40+ years.
When I feed my pup, I start by shooting a cap gun from a ways away, as the days go on I get closer and closer, I progress to shooting the cap gun while the pup is playing, having a fun time. For my pup she is retrieving her toys. She associates the noise with fun times. I then progress to a 22 dummy shooter, then later to shotgun. Always have your dog associate the loud noise with something she enjoys. For instance if your Aussie likes to play fetch, get her excited to play, then shoot cap gun after you throw the toy and pup is on the way to get it.

Years ago I got myself involved in training Labradors for hunting and especially retrieving. Your problem is a tough one. How old is the dog? Male? Female? How long have you had this problem? How well is the dog bonded to you and your family? Sorry. See now three years old Aussie male. Does the dog have anxiety issues any other time?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back