H&R Sidekick scored this morning.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I gave my Buddy this MuzzleLoader this summer. He put a cheap Scope on it and sighted it in at 50yds. That's about perfect for him now a day's. He is 74 years young. The Deer was going away from him. He shot thru the right Rib cage, and touched the left front shoulder. The bullet did exit. The 195grn Barnes bullet left a very small blood trail. Small hole going in, small hole going out. In October here in PA, it's really tough to track Deer with so much foilage still around. The Deer went 125yds and was Dead. I think we are going to change bullets with this Gun. I need to try to shoot some Deer with the 250 or 300GRN Barnes Expanders. I think the big Hollow point on these will expand much better.

I was really impressed with the 300 grain Expander. .45 cal hole going in and a golf ball sized hole going out. All this after travelling over 20 inches. I don't think you can go wrong.

Tom,

If that was all the farther I was gonna shoot, I would use a 348 powerbelt.. They open up VERY nice..

Doohan said:
Tom,

If that was all the farther I was gonna shoot, I would use a 348 powerbelt.. They open up VERY nice..

That's all the father he is going to shoot. :) 348grn might kick to hard for him. I got a bunch of the 250 and 300grn Expanders. The 300's did a really good job on RW'S Pig.

DeerNut said:
I was really impressed with the 300 grain Expander. .45 cal hole going in and a golf ball sized hole going out. All this after travelling over 20 inches. I don't think you can go wrong.

Sounds good to me. 8)

Hmmm... I don't think I'll be using that bullet! I can CERTAINLY recommend the 250gr SST and 250gr PTX!

I know your friend was grateful for the muzzleloader! I know you were glad he was able to get one with it!

big6x6 said:
Hmmm... I don't think I'll be using that bullet! I can CERTAINLY recommend the 250gr SST and 250gr PTX!

I know your friend was grateful for the muzzleloader! I know you were glad he was able to get one with it!

His first Deer ever with a MuzzleLoader. :)

big6x6 said:

The 250sst is up to Bat next. :wink: It's going to be really hard to hang with those XTP'S. :p :wink:

Back