H4198 and 275 gr Star Tips

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
Had a chance to get out and shoot tonight. It’s been awhile and felt good to be at the bench. Gun is an Encore with an ASG .45 Brux barrel, gen 2 plug and W209 primers. I had a handful of charges measured out already and some bullets sized. Most of the charges were 58 gr. H4198. The last couple shots were 60 gr. H4198. All bullets were 275 gr. Fury Star Tips over a veggie wad. Bullets were smooth sized and a little tighter then I’d like. I’ll bump them down a hair more before shooting again.

1st shot was the highest. Shot was on a clean bore.
Next three were at the middle target and shot high and a little left which I already knew. Adjusted right 4 clicks and down 6. I had to of the 58 gr. Charges left. Those two were the bottom left target.
Last three shots were at the bottom right target. These were with the 60 gr. charges. Started out good for the first two. Last shot I pulled a little right and knew it as soon as I shot. Oh well. The potential is there.

Target

Attachments

• 3D63DB85-0F9F-4D86-AF5A-67AD5B459C77.jpeg
    3D63DB85-0F9F-4D86-AF5A-67AD5B459C77.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 45
  • EDCD7292-1A62-479E-9E63-CDBE2B6A0963.jpeg
    EDCD7292-1A62-479E-9E63-CDBE2B6A0963.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 42
Nice deer rifle and good shooting. Not sure why but I get better groups with 300gr. bullets than I do with 275gr. I surely don't enjoy the extra recoil but when hunting it is 99.9% of the time 1 shot kill.

Had a chance to get out and shoot tonight. It’s been awhile and felt good to be at the bench. Gun is an Encore with an ASG .45 Brux barrel, gen 2 plug and W209 primers. I had a handful of charges measured out already and some bullets sized. Most of the charges were 58 gr. H4198. The last couple shots were 60 gr. H4198. All bullets were 275 gr. Fury Star Tips over a veggie wad. Bullets were smooth sized and a little tighter then I’d like. I’ll bump them down a hair more before shooting again.

1st shot was the highest. Shot was on a clean bore.
Next three were at the middle target and shot high and a little left which I already knew. Adjusted right 4 clicks and down 6. I had to of the 58 gr. Charges left. Those two were the bottom left target.
Last three shots were at the bottom right target. These were with the 60 gr. charges. Started out good for the first two. Last shot I pulled a little right and knew it as soon as I shot. Oh well. The potential is there.

Target
nice shooting, ty for the pics

I do not at the moment. I have a chrono just didn't have time to get out and set it up. That will be coming soon and I'll shoot the same loads over it. I'll post results when I get that done.

Back