Had accurate molds make idaholewis’s i bullet in .52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a few more today, did some 50-415i as well. I ended up culling about half of both 50-415i and 52-530i for being under weight, which doesn’t surprise me, most of my short casting career has been round balls and a few handgun boolits, nothing of this size. But when I find my rhythm I am sure I can do better.

0D2D3A9C-E6C7-4C30-8181-A85FBDF55E60.jpeg
so finally made it out to shoot, .52 shot 1 7/8” at 90 yards ( top target )..50 shot about 2 5/8” (bottom target). I shot at 90 yards becausethe brush is getting thick and dry and best I could do and stay on gravel, getting very dry in Oregon, prolly have to go to a range next time. Over all I am very happy with this bullet! I feel I can prolly make it shoot better then this, just ran out of time. Thanks Lewis, this will make one hell of a hunting bullet!

That #52-530I bullet is going to hit game like the Hammer of Thor. A 1.875" group at 90 yards is good shooting. If you can make that level of accuracy translate out to 200 yards, then you are good to go.

Sometimes it is good to remember Col. Jeff Cooper's thoughts on accuracy vis-a-vis the modern, .308 Win. chambered, Scout Rifle.

He only demanded 2 M.O.A. from any of his Scout rifles. If a rifle could shoot better than 2 M.O.A. that was fine. Since the Scout Rifle concept was originally concieved as an anti-personal weapon, 2 M.O.A. was more than sufficient for the task of killing, or wounding enemy combatants out to 400 yards.

His later thoughts never changed, as he felt 2 M.O.A. was also sufficient accuracy for any North American big game out to 200 yards.

In these days of demanding sub-M.O.A. accuracy from EVERY MUZZLELOADING RIFLE one owns, this is an important thought to keep in mind.

View attachment 15363
so finally made it out to shoot, .52 shot 1 7/8” at 90 yards ( top target )..50 shot about 2 5/8” (bottom target). I shot at 90 yards becausethe brush is getting thick and dry and best I could do and stay on gravel, getting very dry in Oregon, prolly have to go to a range next time. Over all I am very happy with this bullet! I feel I can prolly make it shoot better then this, just ran out of time. Thanks Lewis, this will make one hell of a hunting bullet!

AWESOME Stuff my Friend!! :lewis:

Latest posts

Back