Had accurate molds make idaholewis’s i bullet in .52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look forward to your range report. This is a great bullet design.

I will be having Tom at Accurate Molds take Idaholewis's #50-415I mold, and create from it a tapered bullet with 4 driving bands, & centered tolerances, that mimics a Lee R.E.A.L. bullet. It will weigh, in pure lead, approximately 378 grains, as cast, and will not require sizing. The meplat's diameter will be 82% of the bore's diameter, wider than the #50-415I. The band diameters will measure:
4th-- 0.515"
3rd-- 0.509"
2nd--0.503"
1st-- 0.497"

This will be for shooting out of my customized Optima V2 pistol. I want maximum meplat diameter for knock down power. I don't care about long range capability, as the pistol is, at most, a 150 yard weapon. I plan to keep my shots at 50 yards, with my max distance to be 75 yards.

I may have to add a little tin to the mix for best accuracy, time will tell.

I have so many hobbies that I don’t really need one more (meaning bullet casting), even though I know I would enjoy it. Are any commercial bullet casters casting any of the i bullets series?

What type of rifle will you be shooting this in? I had Bobby Hoyt re bore a 50 cal TC New Englander to 52 cal once. I went with a faster twist 1-36 to shoot paper patch bullets. Barrel was showing promise but I sold the barrel because I did not like the New Englander stock profile for rifle shooting. I have a 50 cal TC Renegade barrel that the 52 rebore has crossed my mind.

Not sure, i can’t speak for him but I now for my self sometimes I have to step away from the electronics from time to time to keep my sanity. Politics and other stuff getting my blood pressure up. Maybe he is just taking break?
I volunteered to have the moderators remove me from the forum some months ago, as I felt the need to regroup, and remove myself from some of the acrimonious back-and- forth posting that sometimes occurs here, seemingly out of the blue. It was good to take that holiday, and even though I visited every day, I could sometimes see myself wanting to involve myself in a conversation that I had NO BUSINESS involving myself in.

When I asked to be reinstated, under a new user name, I promised myself that I would exercise restraint, and at the first hint of a bad tempered conversation, I would withdraw. Period. My mental health is too precious to me to risk getting angry over something that I have NO CONTROL over. I refuse to let anyone into my mind, and to let them exercise control over my emotions. It's just not worth it.

The other thing is, I will only state my opinion once. If someone wishes to take issue with something I have posted, so be it. I am NOT in personal contact with anyone here, do I CAN'T demonstrate, nor convince, anyone that something is correct, or incorrect. That takes personal interaction, something that the internet, as wonderful as it is, cannot accomplish. Even ZOOM, isn't quite as good as being right along side someone to show them how something is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched a you tube video he did 23 hrs ago on a 1200yard shot with his new 17twist rice 45cal barrel, so he is well .watched one on a cabin tree tester also on BACO lead , what I was going to do , great to see. I don't do you tube like I read this forum each day. Might have to up that. I like all of his contributions.

I am new here but thought I would put out their that I just had Accurate Molds create idaholewis’s I bullet in .52 cal! I just ordered the mold but will post results when I do.

Awesome deal! This is probably my Favorite hunting style Bullet, if i had to choose over everything i have. They shoot STELLAR in .45, .50, and .54 Cal

That’s what it will mainly be used for is hunting. I also ordered the .50-415i. Can’t wait, I ordered some shiny new 1-40 lead from BACO last night as well.

AWESOME Deal! Out of ALL of my Bullets, I chose my 50-415i Bullet to Hunt Elk with last year, That say’s quite a bit about it :lewis:

What Bullet Lube are you using? Are you using an over powder Wad? If so, what material?

AWESOME Deal! Out of ALL of my Bullets, I chose my 50-415i Bullet to Hunt Elk with last year, That say’s quite a bit about it :lewis:

What Bullet Lube are you using? Are you using an over powder Wad? If so, what material?
I am using your altered NASA Lube. I figure you’ve done a lot of the leg work with this bullet no need change things up. I am shooting them out of some inlines but should preform quite well. .50 is cva accura with 1-28 twist the .52 knight bighorn with 1-26. Of course seeing what you can do with your TC side locks I may need to by the Renegade my local shop has. Although then I would need the 54-485i mold. FYI my wife is going to hate you guys! :D
I am new to casting so I will use your video on casting large bullets. I am sure it will take some time to get it down but with your videos and this sights help I am sure the learning curve will be small one!

Lewis, approximately how many bullets can be lubed from a pound of the Bullshop NASA lube combined with the 2 bottles of the synthetic 2-cycle engine oil?

Back