Hammers pistol scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been toying with the idea of mounting a scout type scope on one of my sidelocks.
For a budget scope, I think the Hammers scope would work.
Anybody else have experience with this one?

No experience with a Hammers. I dug thru their website though and I guess if one is looking for a less spendy scope they might offer something. My Leapers cost about 50% of a bit more expensive scope might but has served me very well and stood up to those palm bruising loads when I was toying with them and it offers all sorts of low light clarity so perhaps these Hammers will offer that too.

I know your loads are much less challenging than what I shoot so in lieu of that if I were looking to scope the Optima for lighter loads I'd be tempted to try one.

Actually, I was thinking about mounting a scope on one of my rifles. It's a Traditions deerhunter.
Drilled and tapped to accept a scope.
No experience with a Hammers. I dug thru their website though and I guess if one is looking for a less spendy scope they might offer something. My Leapers cost about 50% of a bit more expensive scope might but has served me very well and stood up to those palm bruising loads when I was toying with them and it offers all sorts of low light clarity so perhaps these Hammers will offer that too.

I know your loads are much less challenging than what I shoot so in lieu of that if I were looking to scope the Optima for lighter loads I'd be tempted to try one.
Actually, I was looking to mount a scope on one of my rifles. It's a Traditions deerhunter, drilled and tapped already.
The problem is that they only offer a 2 piece base which doesn't allow for very much back and forth scope adjustment.
I've tried to mount a scope on it before but I can't move the scope enough for the eye piece to clear the hammer.
That's why I was thinking about a pistol scope that I can mount a bit forward and use it like a scout scope, more or less.

I've seen a couple of side-hammers done with pistol scopes mounted somewhat forward after having a couple new holes cut and tapped. Hope it all works out for you.

I've seen a couple of side-hammers done with pistol scopes mounted somewhat forward after having a couple new holes cut and tapped. Hope it all works out for you.
I appreciate it. That particular rifle has been difficult for me to get a handle on, accuracy wise for a while now.
The other day, I reinstalled the factory Williams fiber optic sights on it and today I went up to the range to try a few different bullets.
TC maxi hunters, 275 grains with 80 grains of 3f Goex. I had to make a few adjustments for elevation and windage but my last 6 shots hit the bullseye or very close to it at 50 yards, so I'm a happy camper now.
I even shot a few PA conicals with 70 grains of 3f Goex.
I honestly don't know which bullet shot better. I amazed myself this morning, Lol

Each day at the range can be a new experience. I can usually tell within three shots if I am "off" on a given day and just pack it up. All of my guns shoot to a "t" but I might be the problem and I am not one to practice a problem. Not worth it. I go home and get my head on for another day and things usually are right back where they should be.

I know people who go to the club and seem to have an issue so they shoot up a C-note's worth of powder and bullets trying to straighten the gun out when its them that they should be trying to straighten out.

Back