Handi rifle SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re closer to TN, you may want to check out Shultz Precision rifles. JR Shultz is the owner and is pretty OCD on his work. Pretty sure he will install whatever system you choose but normally suggests Hankins Plug and module system. He has a FB and web page, if you want to look him up. He’s done some work for me in the past and does great work at reasonable prices.
Does he have an email address? I checked his FB and didn't see one.

Do a Facebook search, Shultz Precision Rifles, it’s on there. Not sure about his Email address. Go to the website, he has a way to Email there.

Last edited:
I did a FB search. I didn't see an email either. I thought maybe someone might had an email address. I will just go through the website.

Do a Facebook search, Shultz Precision Rifles, it’s on there. Not sure about his Email address. Go to the website, he has a way to Email there.

But you won't get an answer to your email. Or at least he never responded to mine.

When I filled the info out, I didn't get a notification if it went through or not. When I received his reply, a few hours later I knew it went through

Still working this out and figuring out some fail to fire problems. Switched from CCI large rifle primers to Winchester in the modules seems to work good. Started out with the Barnes 195 harvester light blue crush rib sabot & 56 grains of IMR 4198. Going to switch to the smooth sabots to snug this up. Seemed almost to easy to load. what’s max load on the that powder combo. Back out to shoot Friday

Last edited:
The most important thing with 209's is the fit to the breech block. You need about a .003" crush to get all the fire to go where it's supposed to. If you look at a fired primer and the sides are black it's leaking. The easiest way is to try to find a primer that better fits your action. The other alternative is to either shim under the breech plug or put a bushing in the primer pocket to put it closer to the breech block.

The most important thing with 209's is the fit to the breech block. You need about a .003" crush to get all the fire to go where it's supposed to. If you look at a fired primer and the sides are black it's leaking. The easiest way is to try to find a primer that better fits your action. The other alternative is to either shim under the breech plug or put a bushing in the primer pocket to put it closer to the breech block.

Wrong primer.

Did you knurl the 195 Barnes to get a slightly tighter fit? Also, to help not drilling the sabots.
Annealing the 195Bs also, usually helps accuracy because of quicker, more thorough, obturation. Wool wads are helpful also.

No - but after trying the smooth sabot vs crush rib it’s still not snug enough - I tried shooting the Lehigh 180 and it hit about 6” to the left. It tried shooting the 195 with 60 grains IMR 4198 and wow it threw me around like a wild mule lol. 56 grains I can handle in the light Handi and shoots pretty good

If your bullet/sabot combo is not snug enough Knurl your bullets between a couple files. If your combo is not sealed /snug enough you will experience ftf. 56gr 4198 with a saboted 200-250gr bullet is very effective load. From a 25" barrel 2400+ fps. Easy 200yds. killer on deer and such.

Last edited:
Fat fingers, sorry

Last edited:
The NULA plug works because the way it seals the primer. That would be hard to achieve in break action. An ASG or Hankins 209 plug would be a better option. The NULA plug was never intended to be used sabotless either. Melvin was strongly against sabotless 45 use. Peak pressure can easily go up by over 20% sabotless.

I called Dan Dewitt (SMI partner) this week to discuss my newly acquired .45 caliber encore barrel. I told him I was going to shoot sabotless, and he was also strongly against it. He also claimed high pressures could bulge barrel and cautioned me about potential injury if barrel split. he said those barrels were intended for hunting applications only and not target shooting.

Latest posts

Back