Quantcast

Hankins scout conversion.

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

Turkey hunter1

Hi all new member and was wondering about the scout conversion smokeless muzzleloader was thinking about ordering one and was wondering what the recoil is like on those guns what does it compare to. I shoot a cva 444 righ now

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Imagine shooting a 45/70 Ruger #1 load in a Scout or Hunter model. A 275-300gr bullet over 2300fps thumps no matter how you look at it but the muzzle brake is gunna help. You can reduce the recoil by using sabots and bullets in the 200-250gr range but you wont be able to use the brake with sabots (most likely).

According to some newer posts, more recent Scout barrels are a bit choked at the muzzle (tighter). This can be a huge pain when shooting sabotless. I have not seen anyone complain about the Hunter barrels yet but they dont have a brake. CVA dropped the Hunter and now offers a blued Scout without a brake to take its place.

So i would probably take a look at the Encore barrel options atm. You get a better barrel even if its just a MGM preferred and not the Brux. Hankins Scout conversions are well over $800 now. You can get a good barrel for that kinda dough.

Last edited:

Turkey hunter1

Thanks yeah I'm still weighing my options. And the scout with everything is a little over a thousand.

LBAhunter

Imagine shooting a 45/70 Ruger #1 load in a Scout or Hunter model. A 275-300gr bullet over 2300fps thumps no matter how you look at it but the muzzle brake is gunna help. You can reduce the recoil by using sabots and bullets in the 200-250gr range but you wont be able to use the brake with sabots (most likely).

According to some newer posts, more recent Scout barrels are a bit choked at the muzzle (tighter). This can be a huge pain when shooting sabotless. I have not seen anyone complain about the Hunter barrels yet but they dont have a brake. CVA dropped the Hunter and now offers a blued Scout without a brake to take its place.

So i would probably take a look at the Encore barrel options atm. You get a better barrel even if its just a MGM preferred and not the Brux. Hankins Scout conversions are well over $800 now. You can get a good barrel for that kinda dough.
I second that. I have been looking at the Encore barrels.

Hatchet Jack

I can vouch for the Encore barrel. I got mine some years back from Arrowhead Sporting Goods. Hankins barrels are just as good.
I don't have a brake on mine. The flex tech stock absorbs a lot of the recoil. I hardly notice it.
I shoot sabotless with a dry wool wad and 209 ignition. It will shoot lots of different bullets accurately. It is one of my most accurate guns. Even more accurate than most of my centerfire rifles.

Last edited:

redear

I like my scout conversion, but the bore was pretty rough at first, my cva wolf and cva hunter rifled 20 gauge slug gun were both very very good bore wise but the Scout was lacking in that department, it has become a shooter though and I did work the barrel with jb bore paste a few hundred strokes and I think these barnes bullets I shoot are probably helping to smooth it out also.

Latest posts