Hankins scout conversion.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, tap the roll pin out just enough to remove the extractor. BUT, be very careful removing the extractor, there is a tiny little spring that comes out with it. There is a small recess in the bottom of the extractor where the spring fits....Hope this helps.

This is why I chose DI and am very happy with it, it takes about 5 seconds to spin one out and another in.

Only thing ive seen mentioned on Hanks are the SS Scouts from newer shipments. The blued Scout though is also brand new. Not sure if they just repurposed Hunter barrels or not. Never seen anyone complain about one of the Hunter barrels being choked.
I got a CVA Hunter 35 converison. It's 3 or 4 years old though but the barrel is fairly consistent.

This is why I chose DI and am very happy with it, it takes about 5 seconds to spin one out and another in.
I have DI in my conversion. Totally satisfied with it.

Last edited:
I can get my Breech plug out without removing the extractor, but just barely. I have a small narrow bladed screwdriver that I wedge under the extractor, this pulls the extractor back and also down a little bit, I have to leave the screwdriver wedged in there while removing the breech plug. the extractor won't move downward enough until it is pulled back as far as it will go. I only removed my extractor once and have had the breech plug out maybe 10 times.

I just looked at my screwdriver that works so well for wedging under the extractor to get it back and down as far as it will go and it looks like the screwdrivers shank is about 5/32 " and I grinded the front of it where it is wedge shaped so that it is no wider than the shank and I also made the wedge shape even longer and more gradual of a taper. I bet a drill bit of 5/32 or so that has been grinded on one end to resemble a screwdriver would work great especially if you epoxied a little wooden handle to the other end. it would be lighter weight than my plastic handle driver and it wouldnt want to fall out of place as much as mine does. this is for the scout rifle. a dremel tool or belt sander would work for this project.

Ok my scout finally arrived. I want to clean the barrel and size some bullets. So do I have to knock the pin out to take the extractor out to beable to remove the breach plug.tried pulling down on it but still not enough clearance to remove plug.
Yes you do have to knock the pin out Turkey hunter 1. While you have the extractor out mount your scope and bore sight it if you plan to use optics.

With my two Apex conversions, I also had to remove the roll pin and extractor in order to remove the breech plug. I got tired of that and modified the extractor. Now, I hold the extractor down with a popsicle stick and unscrew the plug. I removed material from the extractor with a bench grinder going slow and checking fitment often, very easy to do.

From what I've read, most Scout conversions do not require the roll pin and extractor to be removed. Maybe CVA changed something?

Hey thanks everyone yeah i have to remove to the pin tried a screw driver no luck but did finally get out to shoot a few Saturday. Good at 100 yards. 58 gr h4198 shot good with the 253 accumax.i don't have a chronograph so not sure of muzzle velocity. Didn't get to shoot much as it was like 22 degrees here in SW Ohio Saturday so hopefully get to shoot a deer with it in our muzzy season.

Back