Hankins scout conversion.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all new member and was wondering about the scout conversion smokeless muzzleloader was thinking about ordering one and was wondering what the recoil is like on those guns what does it compare to. I shoot a cva 444 righ now

Imagine shooting a 45/70 Ruger #1 load in a Scout or Hunter model. A 275-300gr bullet over 2300fps thumps no matter how you look at it but the muzzle brake is gunna help. You can reduce the recoil by using sabots and bullets in the 200-250gr range but you wont be able to use the brake with sabots (most likely).

According to some newer posts, more recent Scout barrels are a bit choked at the muzzle (tighter). This can be a huge pain when shooting sabotless. I have not seen anyone complain about the Hunter barrels yet but they dont have a brake. CVA dropped the Hunter and now offers a blued Scout without a brake to take its place.

So i would probably take a look at the Encore barrel options atm. You get a better barrel even if its just a MGM preferred and not the Brux. Hankins Scout conversions are well over $800 now. You can get a good barrel for that kinda dough.

Last edited:
Imagine shooting a 45/70 Ruger #1 load in a Scout or Hunter model. A 275-300gr bullet over 2300fps thumps no matter how you look at it but the muzzle brake is gunna help. You can reduce the recoil by using sabots and bullets in the 200-250gr range but you wont be able to use the brake with sabots (most likely).

According to some newer posts, more recent Scout barrels are a bit choked at the muzzle (tighter). This can be a huge pain when shooting sabotless. I have not seen anyone complain about the Hunter barrels yet but they dont have a brake. CVA dropped the Hunter and now offers a blued Scout without a brake to take its place.

So i would probably take a look at the Encore barrel options atm. You get a better barrel even if its just a MGM preferred and not the Brux. Hankins Scout conversions are well over $800 now. You can get a good barrel for that kinda dough.
I second that. I have been looking at the Encore barrels.

I can vouch for the Encore barrel. I got mine some years back from Arrowhead Sporting Goods. Hankins barrels are just as good.
I don't have a brake on mine. The flex tech stock absorbs a lot of the recoil. I hardly notice it.
I shoot sabotless with a dry wool wad and 209 ignition. It will shoot lots of different bullets accurately. It is one of my most accurate guns. Even more accurate than most of my centerfire rifles.

Last edited:
I like my scout conversion, but the bore was pretty rough at first, my cva wolf and cva hunter rifled 20 gauge slug gun were both very very good bore wise but the Scout was lacking in that department, it has become a shooter though and I did work the barrel with jb bore paste a few hundred strokes and I think these barnes bullets I shoot are probably helping to smooth it out also.

Hi all new member and was wondering about the scout conversion smokeless muzzleloader was thinking about ordering one and was wondering what the recoil is like on those guns what does it compare to. I shoot a cva 444 righ now
I have a Hankins conversation and love it. I have had wonderful accuracy and performance from the Parker .45 cal 250gr Ballistic Extreme. Using 58 grains of IMR 4198 was my best accuracy load out to 200 yards but this monster has taken two nice bucks at shorter range. One fell in his tracks and the other managed just over 40 yards and buckled. Make sure and purchase the bullet sizer when you order! BTW recoil is not bad at all on a 67 year old man! My 460 magnum rifle is much more abusive.

I shot my scout at 273 yds about 1 1/2 weeks ago to see how much drop I had. I'm sighted in at 200 yds dead on and had 6-7 inches drop at 273 yds and the bullet was right there, to me that is unreal for a little hammer gun. barnes 250 tez bullet knurled and wool wad, 45 gr of Imr 4227 at about 2300 fps. cci large rifle primer, His modules. 3 deer this year, 209, 190 and 150 yds all complete pass throughs, two drt and one went 35 yds with large blood trail.

Well I ordered Pittman 253 gr accumax and some wool wads on Saturday and got them today. What chaps my rear end is my gun shipped last Wednesday and still isn't here.its probably only an hour drive to Kentucky where it was shipped from it left Cincinnati on the 7 or 8 . So what the heck USPS .sorry everyone just.needed to vent. Guess I'll need a sling shot to shoot those new bullets.

Those conversions are neat but a Woodman Patriot with a Brux is also a grand. While i agree Hankins does nice work thats a lot of dough for a converted CVA with no warranty and a factory barrel. It is however a complete package and nearly (plug and play). The vast majority of guys have been completely happy with the performance.

I still wonder how well the Traditions Outfitter G3 would workout. The barrel might be even better than the CVA. The earlier Outfitter rifles used Wilson barrels and now they use Lothar. Im seeing them for in the $350 range in 45/70.

My Scout shoots great and have had it for a year but I'm a little dissapointed in cva and the job they did on the bore, it was pretty rough and I could see the striations in the rifling by just looking at the muzzle end. My cva wolf and hunter 20 ga. slug gun were a world apart from this and smooth as a mirror. I sure hope they aren't slipping back to their old ways.

Is the blued or SS Scout the one that is having the barrel inconsistencies? Or just the newer made SS Scout?

Only thing ive seen mentioned on Hanks are the SS Scouts from newer shipments. The blued Scout though is also brand new. Not sure if they just repurposed Hunter barrels or not. Never seen anyone complain about one of the Hunter barrels being choked.

I suspect the new blued/black Scouts do have repurposed Hunter barrels, not sure. I do know that I just purchased a new blued/black Scout and the barrel does not have any of the choke/inconsistency issues being discussed.

Ok my scout finally arrived. I want to clean the barrel and size some bullets. So do I have to knock the pin out to take the extractor out to beable to remove the breach plug.tried pulling down on it but still not enough clearance to remove plug.

Back