Hankins vs Arrowhead

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsotm

Reaction score
Looking at building a Remage build soon and wondering what everyone prefers as far as ignition systems. What are the pros/cons of the two? I'll be using BH209 with the build as the states I hunt don't allow smokeless.

SquirrelHawker had the SS version made by a machinist friend. He said it sealed very well and sealed at the tip. I’m not sure but possibly Hankins took the design and tweaked it.

Attachments

• 414BDE9A-06BA-45C6-8B87-DF95AE9D82CC.png
    414BDE9A-06BA-45C6-8B87-DF95AE9D82CC.png
    10.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 52CA8720-D91F-436B-BFB7-E0C73EF7BB44.png
    52CA8720-D91F-436B-BFB7-E0C73EF7BB44.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 1
SquirrelHawker had the SS version made by a machinist friend. He said it sealed very well and sealed at the tip. I’m not sure but possibly Hankins took the design and tweaked it.
I saw this on dougs years ago, I have been a member there for years under another name. There is no way that will seal like the nose of a firearm cartridge cass mouth. Maybe when first set up with a real tight head space it wouldn’t leak bad but after multiple firings things would wear and it would leak and flame cut at the nose.

I researched both and it was pretty even. As I recall Luke is an Iowa farm boy with an engineering degree from Iowa State. I'm a farm boy from Illinois with a degree from Iowa State, so that swayed me to Arrowhead.

I couldn't be happier with Arrowhead's service or my build...
Bottom line jeff hankins invented the nose sealing primer module and others copied it. I remember when jeff hankins was on dougs message board for a while and just about everyone over there m f’ed him to death including the one that copied his design.

Bottom line jeff hankins invented the nose sealing primer module and others copied it. I remember when jeff hankins was on dougs message board for a while and just about everyone over there m f’ed him to death including the one that copied his design.
Hankins also copies other builder's designs, makes excuses as to why when called out on it.
Bottom line, if a builder wants to keep something, patent it.

Hankins also copies other builder's designs, makes excuses as to why when called out on it.
Bottom line, if a builder wants to keep something, patent it.
I know he copied direct ignition module but he had permission to do so. He makes asg 209 breech plugs but didn’t try to get s patent on them. Your right about the patent he should have gotten one. That goes to show you more than half of the patents out there are not from the true inventors. Mechanics, machinists and field technicians are the true inventors.

Last edited:
Let’s not have this discussion get out of hand please. The picking of sides between these two is what wrecked Doug’s forums. I’ve been watching this thread real close for this exact pissing match to start and would you look at that here it is!

My post doesn't get into who designed the system and my choice was based purely on my common threads with Luke, and shouldn't be taken as bashing Hankins Custom Rifles. I'm sure Hankins products are "top shelf," I just haven't done business with Jeff... yet.

I think you will be good either way. I went with the hankins for the ignition system, it is stupid accurate. Easily makes hits on 6" diamonds at 300,400, and 500yds using the pittman 275gr accumax

I have multiple guns that shoot both systems Hankins and Arrowhead, they're both excellen,t I have great respect for both of these men they have added a lot to Modern muzzle loading not the website, but just to muzzleloading in general alot of what I know today about smokeless shooting I owe to these men,,I thank both,,,,,find someone that you trust to put your gun together,or barrelnut build it yourself!!get your component's from either!!

I have a question
do these modules have the same dimensions of a regular 209 primer?
could you use them in a rifle designed for 209 primers?

Back