Happy to get into SL MLs but not sure about....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remington action if you can find one, you can buy single shots between three and four hundred dollars brand new,, hankins has remage barrels that headspace with the barrel nut very easy to do yourself and doesn't cost much to have a gunsmith do for you, he had those barrels listed for a little over $600 without a muzzle brake,short action Remington varmint stocks are very easy to find used online or brand new from many different , suppliers, Brownells even has some cheap ones for around $100,the gun I'm talking about can easily be assembled for less than $1,500 and it will shoot beside any one of those $4,500 shoulder build muzzleloaders that arrowhead or hankins advertises,you should be able to put a scope on the gun and have it ready to fire for a little bit less than 2000 if you're frugal, Arrowhead also has these barrels available, they will shoot beside any shoulder built custom gun, some may even out shoot the full custom rigs.I do not have the money to buy 3000 and $4,000 muzzleloaders the only way I've been able to put the ones I have together is by being a little bit more frugal and economical you can if you just research more

Remington action if you can find one, you can buy single shots between three and four hundred dollars brand new,, hankins has remage barrels that headspace with the barrel nut very easy to do yourself and doesn't cost much to have a gunsmith do for you, he had those barrels listed for a little over $600 without a muzzle brake,short action Remington varmint stocks are very easy to find used online or brand new from many different , suppliers, Brownells even has some cheap ones for around $100,the gun I'm talking about can easily be assembled for less than $1,500 and it will shoot beside any one of those $4,500 shoulder build muzzleloaders that arrowhead or hankins advertises,you should be able to put a scope on the gun and have it ready to fire for a little bit less than 2000 if you're frugal, Arrowhead also has these barrels available, they will shoot beside any shoulder built custom gun, some may even out shoot the full custom rigs.I do not have the money to buy 3000 and $4,000 muzzleloaders the only way I've been able to put the ones I have together is by being a little bit more frugal and economical you can if you just research more
Awesome post. Great info for all DIY guys on a budget that still demand quality & superior accuracy.

Hi,

Interesting! You're right, if toy can easy purchase an action, that would be definitely my choice to go for.

Sure a barrel nut solution is somewhat different from a machined fit but absolutely fine too.

That's what I discussed with Todd the other day.

The problem in my case is the action.... I'm not able to purchase one , since you need FFL for it.

The only way over here is to take a ML700 Ultimate Muzzleloader and take off the .50 barrel to re-barrel the action.

The Remington 700 muzzleloader I think was different than the ultimate 700,you can convert both of those to a smokeless rifle , ask around on this site they'll help you

The Remington 700 muzzleloader I think was different than the ultimate 700,you can convert both of those to a smokeless rifle , ask around on this site they'll help you

Right, the REM700 UML uses a standard REM700 short action.

Three first REM700 muzzleloader has a different action.

Not much help to you but following with interest and looking forward to watching you progress.

Not much help to you but following with interest and looking forward to watching you progress.
Thanks for your interest!

Currently I'm stuck due to traveling restrictions.

Hope, I can get back to my project soon.

As soon as we can travel again, I'll order the Rem 700 UML to get the "basis" for my conversion.

All necessary parts are already waiting ;-)

Indeed, as soon as I get to finish the project, I will be more than happy with the performance :)

Happy Thursday,

It's been a long time I provided an update.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the same status as before - barrel, breech plug, recoil lug, modules,... Parts lying around because still no Rem 700 UML available due to the Covid stuff and extreme delayed import stuff over here in CZ.

Really frustrating - started of great with all the nice chats I had e.g. with Jeff @Bestillcreations, Luke @Arrowhead and some folks from this forum, who also offered me nice smokeless rifles but still no progress after that long period of time :-(

Nevertheless, I'll not quit to fulfil my project. If I'm not able to get even an action , I'll consider at least one of Jeffs Omega.
These can be shipped over here, so that would work as my last option.
I like their style - sure, no bolt action but still a great accurate performer ;-)

Let's see how the story goes on added how rocky the road will be....
I'm also looking for a used SS 700 SA, maybe can somehow get it to my door. Or something like that e.g. a Pierce action.

All, stay safe and have a great week....

André

The omegas are nice ,and I think Jeff at be still would sure do you right, if you're able to put a bolt action or the Omega together either one I think would serve you well, both are worth the wait and if you build one I think you're going to want to build a second one. Since covid supplies ,materials are hard to find, and with some powders getting hard to find I really like the versatility of a smokeless rifle because you can shoot almost any other powder substitute you want in it black horn and triple seven etc, in the times of powder shortages primer shortages it's nice to have a gun that's versatile. Your smokeless rifle will potentially be the most accurate rifle you've ever had ,well worth the wait keep us updated!!

Mit Monkey, yeah indeed the SML ones are definitely the way to go.
My journey started long time ago but I'll not give up and keep you posted :)

Saw on the internet ( just type Remington ultimate) I believe the company was Glock Armory something like that For $659.00 Buy one and send it too Jeff Hankins and for maybe $1000,00 give or take you will have a well over 350 yard rifle

Last edited:
Happy Thursday,

It's been a long time I provided an update.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the same status as before - barrel, breech plug, recoil lug, modules,... Parts lying around because still no Rem 700 UML available due to the Covid stuff and extreme delayed import stuff over here in CZ.

Really frustrating - started of great with all the nice chats I had e.g. with Jeff @Bestillcreations, Luke @Arrowhead and some folks from this forum, who also offered me nice smokeless rifles but still no progress after that long period of time :-(

Nevertheless, I'll not quit to fulfil my project. If I'm not able to get even an action , I'll consider at least one of Jeffs Omega.
These can be shipped over here, so that would work as my last option.
I like their style - sure, no bolt action but still a great accurate performer ;-)

Let's see how the story goes on added how rocky the road will be....
I'm also looking for a used SS 700 SA, maybe can somehow get it to my door. Or something like that e.g. a Pierce action.

All, stay safe and have a great week....

André

Some of the Pierce actions are 18 tpi, instead of 16 tpi like the Remington 700.

You can also build a nice rifle on a Remington 700ML action with a different breech plug and modules.

Indeed, when I started with the SML stuff, already found that option of converting an old Rem 700 ML.

That time, the "old" 700 ML was built on a different action than the current 700 UML. The 700 UML is build on the standard 700 SS SA.
In fact, Remington does not provide the 700 UML action only as a spare part.
I sent them a request to get the part number of the UML action because I wanted this particular item with its original engraving Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzle Loader.

Saw on the internet ( just type Remington ultimate) I believe the company was Glock Armory something like that For $659.00 Buy one and send it too Jeff Hankins and for maybe $1000,00 give or take you will have a well over 350 yard rifle

With that price and how that website looks it just screams scam to me. Don’t know for certain but I’d be real careful!

Back