Harverster crush rib (light blue) vs MMP (tan) .45/40

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen much of a difference in performance between the two sabot listed above. I have some Harvester crush rib already and just ordered some MMP (tan color) to try out with my .45 CVA MR-x. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions about one verse the other. I know one thing... I got the some of the green sabots (unsure of the manufacturer) in a package with some .45 MZ bullets I bought in the store and they are terrible. One or two of the petals flies off during flight and it caused the bullets (TC shockwaves) to keyhole. At first I noticed them key holing in a TC hawken 1:48. I thought they were key holing because of the slower twist rate and/or some pitting that was present when I bought it. Ended up getting it reline with a 1:26 twist and then shooting cast full bore bullets and didnt think much else about it. Then I got a .45 CVA MR-X and was just experimenting with different bullets combinations and noticed a couple flyers. Didn't think much about it until I checked the target and noticed the flyers were key holing. That got me thinking, so I went and found some of the green sabots that I had shot and one or more petals where missing. I truly believe that was what was causing the keyholing. So now I am curious about other types of sabots and want to hear if anyone as had similar issues with other sabots.

I have noticed a difference between the tan sabots that come with the shockwaves and the harvester (blue) sabots. It seems that the tan sabot are less flexible especially in colder temperature. Recovered tan sabots were much more likely to be missing petals or to have the gas check portion compromised. Now the missing petals may or may not affect accuracy, but gas escaping past the base could cause that keyholing you were referring to. It could just be in my head,but I discard those tan sabots and just use the Harvester sabots.

I have used both sabots over the years. Both sabots work but there is a difference in the polymer formulation. And just so you know another added fact the current MMP Tan sabot is made with the newer HPH polymer even though it is not listed in the HPH sabot section.

For myself hunting in Idaho with the really cod temps we hunt in, I much prefer the MMP. It remains pliable enough to load correctly in the cold weather. This also proves to be a little bit of a downside when using the MMP in hot weather. It becomes too soft. I have not experienced the loss of petals with either the Harvester or the MMP. Even then the loss of petals should not affect accuracy. By the time a petal would come off the bullet would long be out of the sabot.

Here is a picture showing a comparison of the two sabots.

40-45-Sabots.jpg

Has anyone seen much of a difference in performance between the two sabot listed above. I have some Harvester crush rib already and just ordered some MMP (tan color) to try out with my .45 CVA MR-x. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions about one verse the other. I know one thing... I got the some of the green sabots (unsure of the manufacturer) in a package with some .45 MZ bullets I bought in the store and they are terrible. One or two of the petals flies off during flight and it caused the bullets (TC shockwaves) to keyhole. At first I noticed them key holing in a TC hawken 1:48. I thought they were key holing because of the slower twist rate and/or some pitting that was present when I bought it. Ended up getting it reline with a 1:26 twist and then shooting cast full bore bullets and didnt think much else about it. Then I got a .45 CVA MR-X and was just experimenting with different bullets combinations and noticed a couple flyers. Didn't think much about it until I checked the target and noticed the flyers were key holing. That got me thinking, so I went and found some of the green sabots that I had shot and one or more petals where missing. I truly believe that was what was causing the keyholing. So now I am curious about other types of sabots and want to hear if anyone as had similar issues with other sabots.
In my Accura V2 1:22 does not like MMP sabots at all. Switching to HLBCR's made it a sub moa 200yd sabot shooting break action. I shot 2 diff bullets in MMP's & they both shot terribly. I switched sabots out & they both shot extremely well.

Below are the results from 3 different sabots shooting 200 gr. Hornady SST bullets in my CVA .45 Firebolt Ultramag:
MMP tan ----- accuracy was fair (worst of the 3), hardest to load
Harvester crushed rib blue ----- accuracy was decent (better than MMP tan), easy to load
Harvester smooth blue ----- accuracy was excellent (better that other 2), easy to load

Based on the above results, I now replace all manufacturer supplied sabots with Harvester smooth blue sabots.

Below are the results from 3 different sabots shooting 200 gr. Hornady SST bullets in my CVA .45 Firebolt Ultramag:
MMP tan ----- accuracy was fair (worst of the 3), hardest to load
Harvester crushed rib blue ----- accuracy was decent (better than MMP tan), easy to load
Harvester smooth blue ----- accuracy was excellent (better that other 2), easy to load

Based on the above results, I now replace all manufacturer supplied sabots with Harvester smooth blue sabots.
Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to post my results whenever I get out to test them myself. I also have some .402 Fury star tips that I cant wait to try out. That will probably be the bullet I test between the different sabots

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to post my results whenever I get out to test them myself. I also have some .402 Fury star tips that I cant wait to try out. That will probably be the bullet I test between the different sabots
Did you try shooting your .402 Fury yet? Just curious because I have some and I haven't tried them yet.

Latest posts

Back