Having a barrel rebored, need advice on caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

Reaction score
Guys, I am going to send a 1 inch Renegade barrel (50 cal) to get Bob Hoyt to rebore it. I was wanting some advice on caliber. I have had 54's and have some now. I was thinking 58 caliber. I was wondering what you guys might do. This will just be a fun gun to shoot at the range or perhaps take for a deer, bear, elk, etc. hunt. I know TC made a 58 big bore. Was it fast or slow twist? What would be good to shoot the 58 caliber minies? I may want to round ball shot to. I am just interested on the thoughts of others as I am still deciding what to do. Thanks.

Tell Mr. Hoyt what you plan to shoot in it & he’ll rifle it accordingly.

.58's are a hoot to shoot and knock the snot out of deer. I have three, two with 1:70 twist and one with 1:72 twist. Patched balls are the way to go. Minies can be frustrating and require a lot more tinkering than do PRBs. Things like bullet sizing, alloy and thickness of the bullet's skirt can be critical. Plus, a rifling depth best suited to patched balls is not usually well suited to Minies.

Thanks guys, I may go with a round ball twist and not have to fool with all that tinkering.

What Bubba 50 said. I had a modern rifle rebored by a fellow named Cliff Labonty out of Washington State years ago. He asked a lot of questions. I love the rifle. Mr. Hoyt is an expert. Put it in his hands and youll be happy.

Spoke to him this morning. I am getting done in 58 round ball twist. Thanks guys.

I have a TC Hawken .54 barrel that I have considered sending to Hoyt. If I did I would ask for reboring it to .58 caliber with a 1 in 48" twist. Should shoot round balls just fine with moderate amounts of powder.
Best of luck with your project!

I have a TC Hawken stock/action with a GM 1'x32", 1:70 twist barrel. Possibly the most accurate round ball rifle I have and the .570 ball is an absolute hammer on game. If you are going to primarily shoot round ball you want a slow twist.

Thanks. I sent it to him and put on the note that I would be shooting round ball but would like the ability to shoot Minie balls out of it. I really don't know what he will do. I believe the old 1861 Springfields had a slow twist and shot the Minies well. Round ball will be what I primarily shoot, just wanted the option.

I only have 1 experience with a Hoyt Re Bore, My Seneca .36 Cal that i had Bored to .40 Cal (me and a Friend had them done together)

I have been working away on this Rifle trying to figure out exactly what it likes? I have it really Close, But stil have Some Tinkering to do, I have shot some pretty decent Groups with it, and plenty of NOT So great. We have pretty much given up on the Little Lead Bullet (Mold i had made) We are both Shooting Jacketed Pistol bullets in our Barrels, 180 Grain Speer Gold Dots did Really well in Willfish4food’s Barrel recently

To be BRUTALLY Honest, I wasn’t impressed with the Bore when i got it Back, it was ROUGH, VERY ROUGH, You can really see, and Feel the Tooling Marks (Both of our Barrels came back the Same) They both have Noticeable Tight Spots at the Muzzle. I guess that’s what you get for 120 Bucks? I have around 200 Strokes of Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound Through mine, Along with 0000 Steel Wool over a Tight fitting Patched Jag, About 2 Hrs and I’ve finally got it looking like a Mirror In there now. I personally would not have another Small Bore Barrel done by Hoyt, Unless it was a Smooth Bore. It’s to bad he doesn’t offer a Bore Lapping Service, or Farm it out to Someone else to do. I would Gladly pay Extra for a Nice Hand Lapped Bore. The above (Rough Bore) I believe is the Reason the Little Lead bullet doesn’t shoot as well as what we are getting with the Jacketed Pistol bullets? The Good part is .400 (.40 S&W, and 10 MM Auto) Bullets are VERY readily available, We have Several bullet options in .400

I think the Larger .45 Through .58 Cal Re Bores would be Far less Critical about a Rougher Cut Rifled Bore, I would stil have JB Bore Paste, Or Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound Ready to Work it Over Really Good.

Latest posts

Back