Hawken - potential issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's video of what I believe this issue is. This part is fully free floating and quite often interferes with the locking mechanism.

Hopefully you can understand my accent!

The Little piece you point out at the end is called the “Fly”

Open this link, Scroll to the very Bottom, Bottom left Click on “Basic Lock Function FAQ” That will Explain everything you need to know (For some reason it won’t let me link that part here?)
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/percterm.html

Last edited:
Trying to link it again here. It doesn’t Work for whatever reason? You can get to it the Way I explain in my previous post.

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/lockfunction.html.

Thanks for that,

The issue I think is that it isn't retracting when you let down the trigger so it gets "hung up". The shining appears to be from the sear scraping past it when being fired. I'm not sure how serious or how trivial this is? I took it into the local gunshop to have it bore scoped and they had a almost brand new pedersoli hawken for $850. If only I'd seen that earlier!

From what I can see the tumbler appears to be chipped letting the fly (the free floating part) go into the tumbler arc to far interfering with the hammer. The fly lets the hammer fall properly when using the dbbl. set triggers, because the sear only gets a snap from the trigger and with no fly will not pass the half cock. The fly is important to a lock with set triggers. Might need a tumbler replace. I first would clean and lube reassemble protect the nipple and dry fire.
coupe

Thanks everyone for your help, in the end I've decided between the short ramrod, the pitting in the bore and the faulty lock that it's not worth it and will be returning it.

Might grab the pedersoli.

I don’t blame ya! What you had their was a Bottom of the Barrel, LOW Quality Rifle. I’m sure they can be made to Shoot, But there are WAY BETTER Sidelock Muzzleloaders out there :lewis: If you run across a TC Hawken or a TC Renegade They are Both REALLY GOOD Rifles that i Swear by.

That Pedersoli you speak of Should be a GOOD Rifle, Which Model is it? They make a Few Different Rifles they refer to as “Hawken” They make a “Hawken Hunter“ 1:24 Twist (I have one in .50 Cal) They make a “Missouri River Hawken” and a “Rocky Mountain Hawken”

Here they are
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_34/rifles-hawken.html

I don’t blame ya! What you had their was a Bottom of the Barrel, LOW Quality Rifle. I’m sure they can be made to Shoot, But there are WAY BETTER Sidelock Muzzleloaders out there :lewis: If you run across a TC Hawken or a TC Renegade They are Both REALLY GOOD Rifles that i Swear by.

That Pedersoli you speak of Should be a GOOD Rifle, Which Model is it? They make a Few Different Rifles they refer to as “Hawken” They make a “Hawken Hunter“ 1:24 Twist (I have one in .50 Cal) They make a “Missouri River Hawken” and a “Rocky Mountain Hawken”

Here they are
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_34/rifles-hawken.html

Thanks mate,

I had a look and it's the target base model. For an extra couple hundred bucks I can get a new one and the shop won't negotiate on price so I'll give it a miss.

I had a look at pedersoli website and the hunter with a recoil pad, ghost ring and faster twist probably suits me best to run sabots (law requires 230gn projectile minimun for red deer so PRB aren't ideal). Got a full box of 45 cal hornady 300gn hp from my old man after he sold his 45/70. So between that and the monoflex I have years of bullets left providing I can get the sabots into Aus.

So might just order a new one. Now to decide whether to save my pennies or sell my inline, don't know if I can bare to do the latter.

Thanks mate,

I had a look and it's the target base model. For an extra couple hundred bucks I can get a new one and the shop won't negotiate on price so I'll give it a miss.

I had a look at pedersoli website and the hunter with a recoil pad, ghost ring and faster twist probably suits me best to run sabots (law requires 230gn projectile minimun for red deer so PRB aren't ideal). Got a full box of 45 cal hornady 300gn hp from my old man after he sold his 45/70. So between that and the monoflex I have years of bullets left providing I can get the sabots into Aus.

So might just order a new one. Now to decide whether to save my pennies or sell my inline, don't know if I can bare to do the latter.

The Target Base Model is 1:48 Twist, There is Nothing Wrong with 1:48 Twist, I have shot a Couple of these Old Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegades and Hawkens EXTREMELY Well with all sorts of Bullets, and Patched Roundball. But I Stil MUCH prefer a Twist Geared 1 Direction or the other, If Patched Roundball is What a Guy prefers, a Slow Twist such as 1:66-1:70 is the Best way to go. If Bullets is what a Guy wants to Stick with, a FAST Twist such as 1:20 for .45 Cal, and 1:24-1:28 Twist for .50 Cal, I have 1:28 and a 1:32 Twist .54 Cals that Both Shoot EXTREMELY Well.

The 1:48 Twist is a “Middle of the Rd” Twist, designed around the idea of being able to Shoot Patched Roundball or Bullets equally Well, But The 1:48 Twist is not Considered a “Master” Of Either Projectile.

Thanks mate,

The Pedersoli Hawken “Hunter” Model With Recoil Pad is the Rifle i have, I need to get it back out and Shoot it Some more, i have only shot this Rifle 1 Time, I was Pleased with it :lewis:

Thanks mate,

If your stuck shooting sabots you need a fast twist 1:28 or faster. if you are bent on the Pedersoli
  • Traditional Hawken Hunter Rifle percussion 1:24

The Pedersoli Hawken “Hunter” Model With Recoil Pad is the Rifle i have, I need to get it back out and Shoot it Some more, i have only shot this Rifle 1 Time, I was Pleased with it :lewis:

I both enjoyed and disliked this video, very informative but it also made me wonder about the more expensive missouri river model! I kid.

For hunting, your video really does point it out as a very good option. I'm not a target shooter, in point of fact the nearest black powder club/range is 3 1/2 hours from where I live.

I am curious about one thing though, why remove the drum? Bearing in mind that I know little about caplocks I didn't think it was necessary.

I both enjoyed and disliked this video, very informative but it also made me wonder about the more expensive missouri river model! I kid.

For hunting, your video really does point it out as a very good option. I'm not a target shooter, in point of fact the nearest black powder club/range is 3 1/2 hours from where I live.

I am curious about one thing though, why remove the drum? Bearing in mind that I know little about caplocks I didn't think it was necessary.

The ONLY Reason i removed the Drum, and Flathead “Clean out” Screw from the Drum of this Rifle was Because the Rifle was Brand New Unfired and they Came out EFFORTLESSLY, This Allowed me to Coat the Threads REALLY Well with an Anti Seize, in hopes that if i EVER Chose to Remove the Drum again for Any reason? That it would make it MUCH easier to do So.

With the above said, it is VERY Doubtful that i will Ever Remove it again, It is NOT Necessary to Remove the Drum for Cleaning.

The Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken is a DREAM Rifle of mine, and has been for a LONG TIME, I have spoke about it MANY Times across the Forums. The Darn things are EXPENSIVE! And me having as many Great Shooting Muzzleloaders as i have, It’s hard for me to Justify the Purchase. BUT if i were looking to Own only 1 REALLY Nice Sidelock Muzzleloader, I would look SERIOUSLY at the “Missouri River Hawken” It would have to be the .50 Cal for me Due to it’s 1:24 Twist, And Due to my Love for Shooting Bullets over Patched Roundball, I prefer a .45 Caliber Muzzleloader over ALL other Calibers, and They make the “Missouri River Hawken“ in .45, But its an ODDBALL 1:47 Twist, No idea why they did that???

@Idaholewis if I could get a missouri river for $1300 I would in a heart beat! I won't own more than one sidelock either.I try to be pragmatic about my guns and never double up. Generally rifles (actually most things) are 50-100% mark up when sold in Aus as opposed to the states. Just talking to a guy today that bought some VorTx ammo for $30 a box in the states, here it is closer to $100!

I got a quote from the pedersoli importer today for the basic target model hawken make because that's the second hand one the shop had and they're $1100 new here. I'd anticipate the missouri to be in the vicinity of or over $2,000 in that case.

Bear in mind my TC triumph cost around $1400 and I believe they're closer to $600 in the states.

bushfire how far are your normal shots at deer

It really depends on what I'm hunting and when. The main species I hunt is red deer. In late summer and winter shots can be up to 300 yards, I hunt centrefire mostly during this time. In the rut you can usually call them into 100 yards and quite often far less, that's generally muzzleloader and archery time. I hunt hog deer each season, that's our only real tree stand hunting, most everything else is stalking or spot and stalk. Hog deer are generally under 60 yards. Little bit of fallow and sambar and that can vary from 20 yards to 300.

We don't have weapon specific seasons so what I hunt with on any given hunt is based on what I feel like using. I hunt open sights mostly with centrefires these days and limit shots to around 150 yards on red deer, less on smaller deer like fallow. With a scope I have shoot deer to 600 yards but prefer not to anymore. A muzzleloader in a perfect world would stretch out to 150 yards on bigger deer like red and sambar providing the bullet can do its job.

better listen to lewis for long range. since to 70's i have killed 99% of whitetail deer at bow range 25-30 yards. god luck and God bless

@Idaholewis if I could get a missouri river for $1300 I would in a heart beat! I won't own more than one sidelock either.I try to be pragmatic about my guns and never double up. Generally rifles (actually most things) are 50-100% mark up when sold in Aus as opposed to the states. Just talking to a guy today that bought some VorTx ammo for $30 a box in the states, here it is closer to $100!

I got a quote from the pedersoli importer today for the basic target model hawken make because that's the second hand one the shop had and they're $1100 new here. I'd anticipate the missouri to be in the vicinity of or over $2,000 in that case.

Bear in mind my TC triumph cost around $1400 and I believe they're closer to $600 in the states.
wow talk about gun control ! i normally buy tc hawken or renegade for $125

Latest posts

Back