Hello and a needing hand

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buffalo Arms sells that .492 Diameter Paper Patch Bullet in 450, 500, 550, 600, and 650 Grain.

That said, I personally Wouldn’t advise a Paper Patch Bullet for Hunting Dangerous Game. My advise Would be a Big Grease Groove, that goes down good n Snug, A Bullet That you can FULLY trust to Stay Put on the Powder Charge.

I will have to check if we can import buffalo Arms products.

Either way I plan on having a climable tree close by for after my first shot!

I don’t blame ya!! I’ve watched videos of Cape Buffalo, Those things are NASTY MEAN Critters!!

I like Robert Ruark’s Saying

Robert Ruark wrote, famously, that Cape buffalo look at you like you owe them money.

I don’t blame ya!! I’ve watched videos of Cape Buffalo, Those things are NASTY MEAN Critters!!

I like Robert Ruark’s Saying

Robert Ruark wrote, famously, that Cape buffalo look at you like you owe them money.
I wish it was cape buffalo! I'm hunting water buffalo in Australia. Similar style hunt just 1/4 the price of a cape buffalo hunt.

I'm a step closer today, rifle shouldn't be too much further away.

Got some powder, wanted 3f but only had 2f with no eta on more powder. Wasn't expecting 1kg to cost $135 but what can you do.

Minimum legal weight is 230gn for deer so couldn't use the prb available meaning my only option was to buy a box on .45 cal hornady monoflex. Which is fine but they had no sabot's and looks like there are none in Australia either. Still have a handful of 300gn FPB so they will have to do.

The joys of being in Aus!

Spent some time in Adelaide. Great Country you have despite some of the crazy gun laws. Took a day for me to get used to driving and lane direction.
exact opposite of us here in the USA. Odd about the powder. Some of the smokeless we get here is made in Australia.

Spent some time in Adelaide. Great Country you have despite some of the crazy gun laws. Took a day for me to get used to driving and lane direction.
exact opposite of us here in the USA. Odd about the powder. Some of the smokeless we get here is made in Australia.

It's not so bad, just painful in regards to availability of ammo and other miscellaneous hunting things. Can't find a short starter in the country to save my life!

Yes ADI is australian made last I checked, I believe rebranded when it gets to the states. Don't do black powder unfortunately.

Adelaide is nice for a city, lived there for a few years myself. But like most places you need to get into the sticks for an experience with the real aussies I reckon!

just personal opinion but I dont think a pure lead 460 gr conical would get alot of penetration on a buffalos big thick ribs. And even if it broke ribs going in dont think it would make it thu to other side.. It might kill the buff but you might get stomped into a grease spot before it dies. They are way tougher then any big bear or anything we have in the U.S. Even a harder alloyed conical I dont think would have the shocking power to vitals to bring one down quickly, again just my humble opinion.

Bowling I'm with you on using pure lead. I think the bullet to be #2 alloy or harder or full metal jacket. 500 Gr. might be the best way to go at short range. No long range shooting a cape buff with a Muzzle loader. My brother has killed 3 with heavy center fire guns as well as American Bison with a sharps rifle. The Capes normally run when shot but I wonder about the smoke cloud when shooting a muzzle loader. Might get their unwanted attention which is not good.

The Cape Buffalo normally don't stomp one to death , they will nock you down and roll on you with their shoulder. An Elephant will press a man to death with the top base of it's trunk in a kneeling ( crush you) position No fun!!

We're chasing water buffalo in Aus, don't have the money for a cape buff hunt!

My plan is to fire and then all I need to do is be quicker on the retreat than my old man and I'll be ok

Have your old man back you with a large center fire if he can shoot. I saw water buffs in South East Asia, I didn't thinks they were quite the animal as an African buff. But still of good size to be concerned with. Have never seen an Aussy buff.

Oh! don't move after you shoot unless you absolutely have to, give the animal time if you have to track and go very slow. Get reloaded as fast as you can after the animal bolts. I can almost guarantee they will not drop at the shot unless it's a head shot or you break it's spine.
Good luck and good shooting. Wm. Bowman

G'day all,

My love of blackpowder started as a kid watching Jeremiah Johnson prying out hatchet Jack's hawken 50 cal

Been a keen black powder hunter here in Australia for the last 6 or 7 years, hunting with an TC inline 50 cal running Alliant Black MZ.

I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping to get help with. Firstly, they've stopped importing Alliant into Australia which was our only BP substitute so I'm going to move to either 2F or 3F for the inline. I've ordered some 250gn hornady copper sabot's, what charge would I need to be similar in perfornance to my standard 110gn alliant black mz?

Secondly, I'm tomorrow planning on purchasing a 50 cal hawken woodsman. Mostly planning on it as a deer gun but I'd love to use it on an upcoming buffalo hunt. Because of covid it's unclear whether I'll be hunting September or it will be moved into next year. I believe the rifle has a 1:38 twist so I may be able to get away with sabots. If so I'd try the 250 gn hornady coppers. Would a charge of around 100gn of either 2F or 3F produce sufficient energy on a buff out to say 50 yards? (Providing it is an accurate load).

I don't really know whether 2F or 3F would be best for either rifle.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Depends on where you hit him but 80 grains will shoot thru our buffalo with a 400-500 grain bullet @ 50 yds with a BHN of 10.4 bullet 50-cal (saw it done) placement was excellent ,double lung broadside though he took awhile to lay down /Ed

Have your old man back you with a large center fire if he can shoot. I saw water buffs in South East Asia, I didn't thinks they were quite the animal as an African buff. But still of good size to be concerned with. Have never seen an Aussy buff.

What we have are the wild version of those you saw in se asia, bigger than a cape just not as temperamental

Oh! don't move after you shoot unless you absolutely have to, give the animal time if you have to track and go very slow. Get reloaded as fast as you can after the animal bolts. I can almost guarantee they will not drop at the shot unless it's a head shot or you break it's spine.
Good luck and good shooting. Wm. Bowman

I'm just yanking your chain mate, our sense of humour is as dry as the aussie bush in summertime 😁

It's a guided hunt as that's the only way to do it here, I'm hunting my trophy buff with my 9.3, just taking the smoke pole for a cull animal. The guide will have his 416 Rigby as backup and my old man his 9.3 so should be all good.

Well it's 90 deg. F. here in central Indiana no fun outside in the sun. Couldn't ask for a better buff gun than the 416 Rigby . It will kill any beast on the planet. I have a 12.75 Shuler Mauser that will also work very well If you don't mind shooting it. My youngest brother has used a 9.3 with great success. It is a great killer on big game with the correct bullet. In it's early days the bullets weren't as good as we have today. Please don't use a Hornady mono flex in your gun. Wish I could go with you on your hunt. Australia is a long way for this old man any more. Watch out for those bush fires. Have fun, Get a big one.

I think I read somewhere of African bush poachers using cut off battery posts in reloaded 12 gauge single shot shotguns for big cape buffalo. Can’t remember the facts exactly though.
Walk

Walk , I would believe almost anything coming out of Africa. A continent of poverty, warfare, poor government and so on. Hopefully things will get better for the Negro's as well as the Caucasian's
I know some guys in Alaska that go after the big brown bears with 12 gage slug guns if the bears start stealing game meat. The bears usually get away and take a long knap after gorging themselves. No fun especially if it's an Alaskan Moose. Tends to piss every one off!

Back