Hello from LA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicogunpr

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just purchased my first muzzleloader. Got a CVA Optima V2 Pistol. Im looking forward to shooting and learning ML. As I ordered all my goodies online, I already screwed up I think. I ordered fffg triple seven loose powder and the manual states to only use ffg.

So anyways, Im looking forward to learning crom the ML pros on this site and hoping to bag a deer or hog later this year.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of guys on here with experience with ML pistols, I'm sure they will chime in and share their expertise. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks. On the fffg vs ffg topic, Ive found that many use fffg on pistols. Im not sure why cva states that ffg only. The manual is for both the optima rifle and pistols, so maybe they are working off the most conservative load for the rifle?

I am guessing the manual states FFg is because its a copy of the Optima Rifle Manual. FFFg will work fine in the pistol. Reduce your loads a little as the FFFg is a little faster burning (not that we mortals would notice) and creates a little more barrel pressure. Many rifle shooters use FFFg powder in their rifles So you will be fine. Try around 50 grains for starters. With the shorts barrel you can only burn off so much powder before it is blown out the end of the muzzle. I think I read an owner of the same pistol hunts with 70 grains and an XTP. I am sure they will chime in. I have an Optima Rifle and its a great rifle.

Using Triple Seven does have one draw back. It can create crud rings. So when your loading the next round and you find it hard to seat the bullet you probably have a crud ring. To remove it, swab the barrel with Windex and then a couple dry patches in between shots. It will make the accuracy more consistent and the pistol much easier to load.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I also purchased Blackhorn 209, so Ill give both a try.

Went to the range 2on days ago to shoot my new Optima v2 pistol. 100 yard groups tight about 1.5-2 inches using 60gr BH with 300gr xtp magnum hornady. The Powerbelt 295s were equally good.

Chicogunpr said:
Went to the range 2on days ago to shoot my new Optima v2 pistol. 100 yard groups tight about 1.5-2 inches using 60gr BH with 300gr xtp magnum hornady. The Powerbelt 295s were equally good.

Wow that's impressive!!! What scope did you put on it?

Oh yeah welcome to the forums!

Chicogunpr said:

WOW!! And I thought I was good!! :prayer: :yeah:

On a pistol, I like a 2x20mm scope. Its small, it balances the pistol many times, and for 100 yards and under it is all the scope you need. Nice groups. You have a good shooter there. That load would easily take a deer.

I like the 60gr load. I tried 80gr and it kicks like a mule. Next time I hit the range, Ill increase the load 5grs at a time and see if groups remain as tight. Ideally, I would like to bump up the grains as high as possible to ensure clean kills at the 100ydhouse range. Right now, the zero is 1.5-2.5 inches high at 100. The scope is great for the price and appears to hold the zero nicely. Im impressed with the accuracy of this pistol....better than that of some rifles..

Back