Hello from Mizzery

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiggerLueb

Reaction score
It is good to find others that share my addiction. Last week I bought my third in-line or fifth Blackpowder firearm. It started 30 years ago with a T/C Renegade kit in .54 caliber, a birthday present from my wife. A few years later my parents gave me a off brand 1858 Navy revolver in kit form that is fun to shoot. I took a hiatus until the T/C Encore muzzleloader hit the market, but I went a different direction. I bought one .45 caliber instead of.50, why I don't remember but I don't regret it. I struggled with finding a load that preformed up to the level that I knew it could preform. Great Plains bullets harvested some deer and were reasonablely priced, but missed on long range accuracy. Power belts were good for one shot but couldn't repeat the accuracy without swabbing the barrel. Then I found Harvster Crush Rib sabots and things changed. Sabots in the past would not go down the barrel without a fight. The CR sabots paired with .40/10mm gave me multiple shots in an inch or less at 100 yards. Then in the last three years I have found two CVA in-line .45s for $125 each. NOW I have found Lehigh bullets and I looking at working on improving accuracy and reaching out further than 100 yards.

I have found two CVA in-line .45s for $125 each. NOW I have found Lehigh bullets and I looking at working on improving accuracy and reaching out further than 100 yards.

Which ones do you have? AND remember when shooting Lehighs, some are made for faster twist rates. All the older CVA 45s are a 1-28 and are a bit slow for 40cal bullets over 1" long. The Knight Bloodline 185gr (made by Lehigh) will stabilize just fine.

The CVA’s are a a Kodiak Magnum and a Stag Horn in 1/28 twist and everyone knows the Encore. The Kodiak has a 26” barrel, Stag a 23” & Encore a 24”. Here is the funny thing, the CVA’s have T/C optics and the Encore has a Redfield.

Attachments

• 3AF426D5-A2B7-4B94-8E99-80DACECE3145.jpeg
    3AF426D5-A2B7-4B94-8E99-80DACECE3145.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 8
  • F18E56C1-0C11-41A0-B53B-9FD857192023.jpeg
    F18E56C1-0C11-41A0-B53B-9FD857192023.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 8
  • B8168EAD-AA1D-43A2-85B9-0355D0E1E8B4.jpeg
    B8168EAD-AA1D-43A2-85B9-0355D0E1E8B4.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 8
I sure enjoy shooting my .45 Kodiak..

Oh, and welcome aboard Tigger!

Hello from just below you in Arkansas. I thought I was the only one that called your home state Mizzery. Back in the 1980's I went to a dairy cattle auction in Sedalia, MO in January, the temperature was around or below 0 and the wind was blowing just short of gale force. Don't think I've ever been so cold, they were handing out blankets in the sale barn. Ever since that day I've called the Missouri = Mizzery.

Hello from just below you in Arkansas. I thought I was the only one that called your home state Mizzery. Back in the 1980's I went to a dairy cattle auction in Sedalia, MO in January, the temperature was around or below 0 and the wind was blowing just short of gale force. Don't think I've ever been so cold, they were handing out blankets in the sale barn. Ever since that day I've called the Missouri = Mizzery.
Exactly why I call it Mizzery

I go up to northern Minnesota every year for a week at Lake Vermilion, but in the middle of June. I've gone up there the last 9 years and have made several good friends there, so I keep up with the weather up there. Any place that get's down to -50 ain't meant for habitation by no southern boy.

I spent a winter in Anchorage. >45 days and the temp never got warmer than -45°f. They say that it's so cold that you get nearly the same traction on ice as dry pavement.

Latest posts

Back