Hello from Northern Utah

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I too was an athlete, 60 yrs ago in high school. LOL. If you can't find the answers to your questions here, likely they can't be found. ALL good people willing to share and each of us learn everyday...Trader

Most important, load your gun the first time, and mark your ramrod. A bullet that isn't seated all the way down to the powder can blow up your rifle. If you've got deep pockets, you'll want to use Black Horn 209. It burns hot and clean, but takes full strength primers to ignite. Winchester 209s fit best in mine if you can find some. I believe new Accuras are shipping with a BH 209 breechplug. It has about a 3//8" hole on the powder side to get the powder closer to the primer. Most shooters on this forum recommend loose powder. You can tailor your load to your rifle and often get better accuracy. Triple 7 powder is less expensive than BH209, but requires swabing between shots. If you're just shooting for fun, Powerbelts are accurate, but most don't recommend for hunting, and they are pricey. PRbullet, Harvester, and TC offer inexpensive bullets. For deer, lots of folks recommend Hornady XTP bullets. If you're after elk, I like bullets like Barnes Expander or heavier conicals. The Accuras need to have the breechplug drilled out by hand after shooting. It cruds up and affects accuracy. The manual recommends pulling the firing pin after every shooting session to clean it. If your primers fit right and are coming out clean, you can skip that most of the time. If your primers come out black, you're getting blowback and will need to clean often. Blowback apparently degrades accuracy. Lots of folks use shims or o-rings to make a tight fit. Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Most important, load your gun the first time, and mark your ramrod. A bullet that isn't seated all the way down to the powder can blow up your rifle. If you've got deep pockets, you'll want to use Black Horn 209. It burns hot and clean, but takes full strength primers to ignite. Winchester 209s fit best in mine if you can find some. I believe new Accuras are shipping with a BH 209 breechplug. It has about a 3//8" hole on the powder side to get the powder closer to the primer. Most shooters on this forum recommend loose powder. You can tailor your load to your rifle and often get better accuracy. Triple 7 powder is less expensive than BH209, but requires swabing between shots. If you're just shooting for fun, Powerbelts are accurate, but most don't recommend for hunting, and they are pricey. PRbullet, Harvester, and TC offer inexpensive bullets. For deer, lots of folks recommend Hornady XTP bullets. If you're after elk, I like bullets like Barnes Expander or heavier conicals. The Accuras need to have the breechplug drilled out by hand after shooting. It cruds up and affects accuracy. The manual recommends pulling the firing pin after every shooting session to clean it. If your primers fit right and are coming out clean, you can skip that most of the time. If your primers come out black, you're getting blowback and will need to clean often. Blowback apparently degrades accuracy. Lots of folks use shims or o-rings to make a tight fit. Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
Thank You very much for all this info its a big help to some of the questions i had.

Welcome from SE Michigan! You're sure going to like it here. If you're not a black powder addict, you soon will be. At 6'10", you must have a long length of pull. Unless you're built like a T-Rex!

Back