Hello from Oregon!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George G.

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading. I drew a muzzleloader deer tag this year. I went and purchased a Traditions Strikeforce Northwest. Now I need to figure out how to use it. That’s where you all come in. Help me figure it out! Thanks.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Good luck with the new rifle. I guess you would be using musket caps for ignition? If so, triple 7, pyrodex or real black powder is what you need for a propellant.
All kinds of choices for bullets. You'll have to try out some to find what works best.

:welcome:welcome from NC, you are in the right place to have your questions answered, lots of good experience/advice here enjoy.

Also from Oregon. Welcome to the addiction. Which tag did you draw?

I don't have the privilege of hunting elk any more. But if I did I would use one of the bullets below in the 450 or heavier. I shoot them out of a Knight Elite 1/28 twist with 80 or 100 grains (W) of T7 and a 209. the 4 loads go go through nearly the same hole. I use NASA lube and a wad in between. They come from Mr Hollow point.

1626169302596.png

In Oregon they make it tricky. The projectile has to be bore size, no sabots, bullet can’t be more then twice the bore in length. And no 209 primer. I am sure the OP understands that though.

Hunted E Grant for elk, for the first time last year. Got lucky and drew it again this year. Can't wait to go back.
Yes me to, I have hunted it a few years now during the rifle season but they cut back on tags and made it a harder draw. But good hunting and great grounds to stomp around in!

In Oregon they make it tricky. The projectile has to be bore size, no sabots, bullet can’t be more then twice the bore in length. And no 209 primer. I am sure the OP understands that though.
[/QUOTE
Yea, we need to use musket caps, and the breach needs to be open to the weather, only loose powder….and it goes on…

Sounds like a true MZ season to me.
Sort of.
Modern muzzleloaders are allowed as long as the cap is exposed to the weather.
Only saw 2 traditional rifles being used last elk season, and I was carrying one of them.

Back